Panthers win out as Ross throws her fourth shut out

The UNI softball team traveled to Evansville, IN this weekend for a double-header against the Purple Aces. The Panthers won both games on Saturday 7-0 and 8-7.

The Panthers started game one very strong, taking a 4-0 lead after the first inning. Rikki Alcaraz hit a homer, bringing her and Caitlin Wnek home to score. Chelsea Ross added another homerun over left-center field, bringing Kristin Lock home. Ross led the team with seven homeruns.

Evansville was knocking on the door with the bases loaded, but Norris fouled out to first base to end the inning. Neither team was able to do much until the fifth inning. Panther Micalla Rettinger brought Julia Hunter in to score on a center field single. Ross and Lock teamed up again for another run in the sixth, with Ross sacrificing a fly ball to center field. Samantha Olsen scored in the seventh on an error to lock in the 7-0 win.

This win was pitcher Ross’s fourth shutout.

Game two started like game one. Rettinger scored on a wild pitch, and Ross brought in two more runners to earn a 3-0 lead. Evansville scored their first run of the afternoon in the second inning on a sacrifice bunt.

The Panthers managed another multi-run inning in the third. Kennedy Bailey hit a three-run homer to bring the lead to 6-1. Rettinger also scored Wnek on a single in the fourth to add to their lead 7-1.

Evansville had two consecutive three-run innings in the fifth and sixth with the help of four Panther errors to tie the game 7-7. Alcaraz homered in the seventh to gain back the lead 8-7. The Purple Aces could not muster another run.

Sunday’s game was cancelled due to field conditions. The Panthers will return home Wednesday to play the Drake Bulldogs at 6 p.m.