Caitlin Clark immortalized in NCAA history

Sports opinion
COURTESY/LOS ANGELES TIMES
Caitlin Clark celebrates as she becomes the leading scorer in NCAA history.

Caitlin Clark headed into a big game Sunday against second-ranked Ohio State just 18 points away from breaking the NCAA All-Time Scoring Record that is held by Pete “Pistol Pete” Maravich. Maravich held the record with 3,667 points and Clark previously sat at 3,650, meaning she would need at least 17 to tie the record and 18 to beat the record, which seems like an easy task for her, as she is averaging 28.3 points a game.

It only took Clark the first half to reach the 18 points that she needed to break the record. She achieved the record off of two free throws, which resulted from a technical foul called on Ohio State in the game. She ended the game with 35 points and helped lead the Hawkeyes to a win on Senior Day at Carver Hawkeye Arena. 

While Clark broke the record on Sunday, many have their opinions about the record being broken. Maravich held the record while there was no three-point line and baskets. Pistol Pete averaged a whopping 44.2 points a game off of field goals made. He also accomplished the record in just three years and not four like it took Clark to do. Many people are saying that it shouldn’t count for her to break the record because of the circumstances. 

She had one more year to do so and also had the three-point line to her advantage to help her break the record. Nonetheless, it was still a crucial moment for the sports world, drawing in some big celebrities to see it happen. Celebrities such as Travis Scott, Jake from State Farm and Dallas Clark, just to name a few, were there to see greatness happen. 

This record-breaking event was a big moment in sports history, not only for women’s basketball, but the game of basketball as a whole. Caitlin Clark is setting a great example for young girls in the sport of basketball to never give up and to keep going for your dreams. She’s proven that basketball is much more than just a game and has inspired so many young girls in the world to keep going and to keep fighting. 

She continues to grow the game of basketball and show everyone that she is unstoppable. Although this will be Clark’s last season at Iowa, she just announced that she will be declaring for the WNBA Draft where she will continue to grow the game. The Indiana Fever have the first pick in the draft and many are obviously expecting them to take Clark as their number one pick, where she will join former South Carolina star Aliyah Boston on the team. 

With this speculation going on and people and fans catching on, the Indiana Fever season tickets have more than doubled in price from past seasons. This comes as the anticipation of Clark possibly getting drafted by the team and fans wanting to stay ahead of the game and make sure they have tickets secured to see her in the season. 

Fans will be basking in the last couple weeks that Caitlin will have of her season as a Hawkeye before she takes the next steps in her career. She now sits as the NCAA All-Time Leading Scorer in Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball beating out Pete Maravich’s former record. And while people have their own opinions about her breaking the record because of the circumstances, one can’t deny the leaps and bounds that she is taking to help grow the sport for those all around the world.