Keckeisen keeps trucking

UNI ATHLETICS
UNI wrestler Parker Keckeisen won his fourth straight Big 12 Wrestling title this past week. He is now ranked first overall seed going into the national tournament for the second year in a row.

CEDAR FALLS- UNI Panther Wrestling Junior Parker Keckeisen won his fourth straight Big 12 Wrestling title this past week in Tulsa, Okla. The 184-pounder is now 26-0 on the season and is ranked as the first overall seed going into the national tournament for the second year in a row. 

For Keckeisen, winning his fourth Big 12 title this year can be attributed to his mindset going into the tournament.

“I felt like I trusted my training,” Keckeisen said. “I trusted myself and my abilities … and gave the outcome to God.”

Keckeisen won all of his matches at the Big 12 tournament by either decision or tech fall, having a wide margin of point differential in all of his matches. 

Going into big meets, such as the Big 12 championships or Nationals, Keckeisen was asked about his mindset going in, whether it changes or takes an impact from the degree of the stage he performs on.

“I try to keep it consistent,” said Keckeisen, “If Nationals were in July or August I’d be ready.”

According to him, the best wrestlers are the ones who “change the least and perform the best.”

Keckeisen, along with the UNI Wrestling program, structures their training around being prepared year-round for high-level competitions. It is for the primary reason that when the big stage comes, it’s no different than what they have trained for all year.

“(Coach) Schwab tells us to ‘bring Tulsa or Kansas City into practice.’” This is how the team mentally prepares themselves before heading into the competition, creating the atmosphere of big meets in practice.

When it comes to the actual matches, Keckeisen believes in staying in the moment for every match.

“I try to be as present as possible … keeping my breathing and (warmup) routine the same.”

Like boxing, Keckeisen refers to a moment in a match that dictates the winner, what he calls the “knockout punch.” When he’s in a match, this is what he looks out for and tries to establish and defend to win.

Keckeisen has changed his approach off the mat as well this year, something he also contributes to his success.

“I’ve taken more time off this year,” Keckeisen said, “I’m having more fun being with the team and hanging with them more.”

Like many athletes, the value of bonding with your teammates outside of practice and competition cannot be overstated, as Keckeisen has taken advantage of the camaraderie of his team, perhaps more so this year than in the past.

Going into Nationals this weekend, Keckeisen was once again asked about how he feels going in, especially about being the first overall seed in his bracket.

“It’s where I want to be and where I train to be,” Keckeisen said. For him, being the first overall seed and favorite is an expectation that he believes that his training reflects his skill level.

Nonetheless, Keckeisen knows not to overemphasize the moment.

“It is just three days of competition and three days doesn’t define who you are”.

Though many people tend to think the biggest meets are the end-all-be-all of their careers, Keckeisen dismisses that approach and rather sees it as just another opportunity to perform at the sport he loves. Keckeisen will continue his pursuit of championship gold as he prepares to take the mat at the national championships in Kansas City, Mo. Keckeisen will face the winner of Anthony D’Alesio of Long Island University versus Thomas Brooker of Appalachian State.