Losing things while finding myself

While Sports Editor Caden Shea may have lost his backpack, water bottle, and AirPod case this year, he did find a sense of camaraderie and friendship in the Northern Iowan offices.

When I started writing for the Northern Iowan, I was a very young staff writer who just wanted to make some extra money while writing about sports. I never talked to anybody who worked there and just wanted to keep my head down and cause as little trouble as possible. I was hesitant when I accepted the job for sports editor because I wasn’t sure I was a right fit for the role. I knew a lot about sports, but wasn’t sure if I would fit in with the rest of the writers and editors.

I was very fortunate to be wrong. When I met the crew for the first official time in August, it felt like I knew them forever. Tuesdays in the newsroom became one of my favorite days of the week. From dropping pizza on the stairs to inside jokes about Harvard, there have been so many great memories made. I have lost my airpods on a flight to California while also not having a backpack at all. That is definitely something that the crew will not let me live down. 

Being able to write about sports is a dream come true and being able to do it with such a great group of people is such a great blessing. This job has given me great opportunities to interview legends such as Caitlin Clark and Kurt Warner. It has also given me the opportunity to share the unique stories of the athletes who represent UNI.

I will never forget this position and I will forever be thankful for this great group of people. Thanks to UNI Athletics, readers of the Northern Iowan and the sports writers. You guys mean more to me than you will ever know.