Faculty struggle with Schindler remodel

JOSIE ROBERTSON, Staff Writer

The final weeks of a semester tend to be a hassle for most, but those who had offices in the Schindler Education Center last semester truly faced chaos.

Due to the renovation of Schindler Hall, the faculty was required to relocate during the last week of the spring 2015 semester, said Nancy White, adjunct instructor of literacy education.

According to White, the offices of Special Education and Curriculum and Instruction professors have been relocated to cubical spaces in the Nielson Field House, with a third of the gym also being used by the children of the Youth and Development Center.

Because some of White’s office items would not fit in these tight quarters, she stated she had to move things into her car and garage.

“I feel like I’m teaching out of the trunk of my car,” said White.

White also feels that the relocation of offices may deter students from visiting faculty members during their office hours.

With the renovation comes even more changes for education professors and students.

According to Associate Registrar, Mary Baumann, approximately 260 courses from the Schindler Education Center were relocated to other buildings on campus.

One education course took place in the middle of the library on the first floor Wednesday morning.   

“Teaching in the middle of the library? That’s not okay. We pay a lot of money to be here,” said Tiffany Bean, junior early childhood education major.

According to Rick Knivsland, chair of the Schindler Renovation Committee, the Schindler Education Center has hardly done any remodeling since the opening of the building in the early 1970s. Because of this, the building is considered to be outdated. Knivsland noted that the mechanical systems and bathrooms are currently not up to code.

This $30 million-plus project will not only get the building up to code but also allow for more collaborative space, explained Knivsland. The renovation will rid the building of all but one lecture hall, while eliminating the “pie-shaped” classrooms to provide more opportunities for hands on learning, said Knivsland.

“Yes, I’m gonna have to deal with, you know, walking around and figuring out classes for like a year or two, but then the end result is going to be worth it,” said Bean.

Knivsland stated that the demolition is soon to be underway, with the building scheduled to reopen in the spring of 2017.