UNI’s first loss to Hawkeyes in fourth OT game

BRANDON TJEPKES, Sports Editor

The University of Northern Iowa women’s soccer team played the University of Iowa on Tuesday. The Panthers experienced their first loss of the season with the 2-1 score in overtime.

Iowa’s Bri Toelle found the upper right corner of the net in the 27th minute to take the early 1-0 lead that lasted through the rest of the first half.

The score remained 1-0 until the Panthers finally broke the scoreless spell in the 72nd minute. Freshman Hannah McDevitt scored her first career goal as a Panther to bring the match to a 1-1 tie. McDevitt lead the Panthers in shots with three, and shots on target with two. The 1-1 tie remained until regular time ceased, bringing the Panthers into yet another overtime game.

Iowa’s Karly Stuenkel scored early in overtime, bringing the score for the 2-1 final. During overtime, Iowa’s defense stonewalled any attack by UNI, restricting them of a single shot.

“We played very hard and fought to the end,” said UNI Coach Price. “We have to regroup quickly and get on another run.”

Despite the loss, goalkeeper Whitney Blunt recorded seven saves, five of which came from the second half. Blunt was also named the Missouri Valley Conference Goalkeeper of the Week just hours before the game.

This contest recorded the fourth overtime game for UNI’s early season and the second consecutive overtime game versus Iowa.

The Panthers (2-1-2) return home on Saturday to take on the Indiana University – Purdue and University of Indianapolis Jaguars (1-2-1) at 1 p.m. A book drive will take place during the game and fans are encouraged to donate a book.