Parade prevails in the cold

JOSIE ROBERTSON, Staff Writer

Participants rushed  around the Gilchrist parking lot assembling their floats for the homecoming parade Saturday morning. Despite the chilly 30-degree weather, golf carts quickly transformed into purple and gold fairytales before judging took place. University Book and Supply sponsored the event.

Numerous student organizations took part in the parade, such as Sigma Phi Epsilon, the Panther Pep Crew, Bender Hall, Phi Sigma Pi, Residence Hall Association, Rod Library and many others.

Floats were assembled the morning of the parade this year due to lack of storage space for the golf carts, which are normally held in the Neilson Field House until the morning of the parade.

Last year, participants were able to prepare and assemble their floats in the Neilson Field House during the week of homecoming.

However, the Field House could no longer be used after the temporary relocation of faculty offices from the Schindler Education Center. This year, students used a model golf cart to create their displays ahead of time and assemble that morning.

“I guess it’s an even playing field when it comes to other floats,” said Jamie Miller, CAB Homecoming Executive, “just because everyone has the same amount of time assembling, which is probably one of the most difficult parts.”

The four participants representing CAB were eager to hit the road with their golf cart, decorated in white and orange tools to recreate the scene from “Cinderella” in which a pumpkin transforms into her horse- drawn carriage.

Colleges Against Cancer took a different approach as they created a large cake made out of leftover luminaries from their event that took place a few weeks back. Although it was slowly deflating throughout the windy morning, Hailey Naternach, President of CAC, was optimistic.

“You know we’re the second windiest campus,” said Naternach, “if [our display] does [blow over] we filled it up with balloons so it can be a real birthday party.” Approximately 30 Colleges Against Cancer members took part in the parade.

“We participated in the homecoming parade this year just to spread awareness about our organization and what we actually do,” said Naternach. “A lot of people think that we just plan the Relay for Life, but we’re actually doing a lot more than just that.” 

Those walking alongside the float carried a wooden mustache to promote their UNI No Shave Campaign taking place next month. They are asking those who participate in “No-Shave November,” to consider donating to the American Cancer Society to raise awareness for men’s health.

At the Homecoming football game on Saturday evening, the first-place winner and the “Most Spirited” awards were announced. The UNI Health Center won first place for their homecoming float and the Panther Pep Crew won the award of “Most Spirited”  for their display. The two floats, along with the 2nd and 3rd place winners, all paraded their floats around the football field in the UNI-Dome.