Halloween tradition dripping with antici…pation

Weber

Camille Weber illustration of Frank-N-Furter from the cult movie and musical “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Lexington Herald-Leader 2006

krtentertainment entertainment, krtnational national, krtworld world, krtdvd video dvd, krtmovie movie film, krtmusic music, krt, mctillustration, frank, frank-n-furter, furter, horror, musical, n, picture, rocky, show, transvestite, weber, lx contributed, 2006, krt2006,

KAYLEEN TURNIS, Staff Writer

“Rice is thrown, water is squirted and newspapers are opened during this truly one of a kind show,” said Katie Schickel, senior social work major. Singing and dancing, along with the screening of “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” will take place at UNI this Friday.

Alpha Psi Omega (APO), a Theater Honor Fraternity on campus, is hosting this as their annual philanthropy event. APO is also getting help from others in and out of the theater, including sponsorship by NISG.

Not only is this the 40th anniversary of “Rocky Horror,” but it also marks the 90th anniversary of Alpha Psi Omega.

Beth Hicks, sophomore theatre design and production major, is a member of the committee this year.

“Those new to ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ get a dose of the craziness early on as they are introduced to the returning viewers in an appropriate ‘Rocky Horror’ fashion,” Hicks said. “Costumes are highly encouraged. It will provide a wild, wacky and fun night, free of judgment, where being yourself is highly encouraged. Students should attend ‘Rocky Horror’ for a unique and lively movie experience, solo or with friends.”

The event has been a UNI tradition, as well as a cultural phenomenon since its release in 1975. Mic Evans, senior theatre major and Social Chair for APO discussed some of the content of “Rocky Horror.”

“The show questions relevant things for audiences today: identity, sex and humor,” Evans said. “What else could you need? Theatres around the U.S. put up immersive showings of this film around this time of year. Cross it off your bucket list now.”

One particular tradition of the show includes a Virgin Auction.

“All people who haven’t been to either a live show or a screening of ‘Rocky Horror,’ — and don’t lie about it, your friends will rat you out — are taken to the stage and auctioned off for the dirtiest thing an audience member can think of,” Evans said. “There’s also a rich history of audience participation, which culminates in the opportunity to yell at the screen.”

Schickel talked about her first experience with the show.

“I went to ‘Rocky Horror’ last year and my get-up was comprised of a black wig, ghostly make-up, black lipstick, black shorts, tights and black boots,” Schickel said. “This year, I am going as Magenta, one of the characters from the show, and I am wearing a maid costume with fishnet tights and spraying my hair red. Honestly anybody can wear anything. With ‘Rocky Horror,’ anything goes.”

The showing will be taking place at Gallagher Bluedorn with doors opening at 10 p.m.  and the showing beginning at 11 p.m. Evans explained that the size of the event has grown over the years, and that screenings of “Rocky Horror” began in a lecture hall before the event moved to Strayer-Wood Theatre, and has now filled the floor of GBPAC for three years running.

“It’s been an amazing event for this campus and surrounding area,” Evans said. “It is such a fun night. Dust off your fish nets and your tighty-whiteys and come have some fun!”

The show is free with a UNI ID, and $1 or a nonperishable food for non-UNI students. The canned food items will be given to the Northeast Iowa Food Bank in Waterloo.

Prop bags will also be on sale for $4 to aid in the audience participation of the show.

“One of the greatest things about ‘Rocky Horror’ is the utter confusion one feels if it is their first time at a show,” Schickel said. “The music is catchy and the story line is wild. If nothing else, ‘Rocky Horror’ is guaranteed to be memorable and has quickly become one of my favorite Halloween traditions.”

In addition to the “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” APO also hosts an annual themed dinner show in the spring at the Cedar Falls Community Center.