PR class plans to paint the town red

JOSIE ROBERTSON, Staff Writer

An event planning class at UNI has been working all semester to put together a week-long fundraiser event. Those involved in the course hope their work will lead to the implementation of a new event planning emphasis program within the public relations major.

Gayle Pohl, public relations instructor, teaches the special events planning course. This new class provides 33 students with hands-on experience in the growing field of PR, according to Andrea Pingel, senior English major.

From the start of the semester, the class has been preparing for their Paint the Town Red event, taking place on College Hill and Main Street during the week of Nov. 9-14.

The students planning the event hope to raise $5,000 for the American Heart Association (AHA) by selling bracelets and tickets that provide individuals with discounts to local businesses. According to Lexi Moore, senior public relations major, the class split into two different entities to reach their goal.

Katie Knudson, senior public relations major, said that Pohl is highly involved with the AHA and was able to provide the students with reliable contacts.

“A lot of us were just astounded at how much heart disease and heart illness affects everybody,” said Pingel. “We just thought it was a good organization that we could stand behind, and we also thought it would be a good way to raise awareness about heart health.”

A shopping discount day will take place on Main Street in Cedar Falls on Thursday, Nov. 12. Customers may buy a $25 ticket to receive half-discounts from fifteen stores, or a $35 ticket to receive full discounts at multiple businesses on Main Street.

Main Street will also be hosting live music from a few local bands, such as Suave Johnny’s and One of Us. Hot chocolate and cookies will also be provided, according to Pingel.

Additionally, individuals are able to purchase a $5 wristband for daily deals and week-long specials from participating businesses located on College Street.

Information regarding the discounts can be found on the website, cedarvalley.red. Wristband and ticket purchases can also be made on the site.

Moore has enjoyed the experience of the class thus far and has found it to be quite rewarding.

“I think it’s a lot of fun to watch it come together, [the event is] kind of like your baby by the end,” Moore said.

Pingel said she believes taking this class will help to market herself when looking for a job after graduating this coming December.

According to Pingel, Paint the Town Red will be the only event put on by the class this semester. They plan to present information regarding the preparation and outcome of the event to the AHA and possibly UNI administration.

According to Knudson, UNI faculty hopes to change the curriculum for the public relations major by incorporating a special events emphasis, as well as a sports and strategic public relations emphasis.

Knudson went on to say that the department plans to offer another trial course next semester, focusing on a potential sports public relations emphasis.