Panel to discuss disability issues

KATHERINE JAMTGAARD, Staff Writer

On Feb. 17, the Rod Library and Student Disability Services will be hosting a film and panel discussion over the matter of disabilities as a social justice issue. The panel, entitled, “The New Asylums: Mental Illness and the Criminal Justice System,” will be held in the Center for Multicultural Education (CME) from 6 to 7:30 p.m.

According to the event’s press release, it is estimated that 500,000 people incarcerated in U.S. prisons and jails have some sort of severe mental illness, and only one-tenth of that number reside in psychiatric hospitals.

“The vast majority of people who are mentally ill or have psychiatric disabilities do not encounter the criminal justice system,” said associate professor, collection strategist librarian and coordinator of the Library Disabilities Services, Barb Weeg. “But this looks at what happens if they do.”

This will be the second panel addressing this issue. 

According to Weeg, while the first panel focused on the history of the disabilities rights movement, this event will look more at the present problem. The overarching theme for this series of panels is “Disability Justice: Past, Present, Future.”

Weeg noted the difference between mental health and mental illness.

“From time to time, almost everybody has a mental health concern,” Weeg said. “Mental illness more is like a chronic situation. Ongoing signs and symptoms that cause frequent stress and affect one’s ability to function is more mental illness.”

Steven Onken, associate professor of social work, will facilitate an audience discussion about such topics at the panel.

“One in five Americans contend with mental health issues,” Onken said. “Every one of us knows of a loved one or has a connection to someone facing this situation. It is difficult to get help due to limited resources, if not discouraged by the implications of mental illness. Yet without supports and opportunities for recovery, people’s diminishing circumstances may lead to criminalization.”

An excerpt of the 2009 film, “The Released,” will be screened, followed by the panel and discussion. The film tracks the lives of a few people with disabilities that have been in and out of the criminal justice system in Ohio.

Following the excerpt from the film, Onken will moderate a panel that will consist of emeritus professor in public policy, Al Hays; Thomas Eachus of UnityPoint Black Hawk-Grundy Center Mental Health Center; Marvin Spencer of the First Judicial District Department of Correctional Service and social work masters student, Lacey Combs, who is currently interning at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women.

Onken, who  was in charge of appointing the panelists at the event, discussed his reasoning behind his selection process.

“I wanted both a 10,000-foot macro view and an up close micro view, as well as views from different perspectives along the pathway of getting caught up in the criminal justice system as complicated by mental illness,” said Onken. 

Onken went on to explain how each panelist will bring a unique perspective to the discussion. Audience participation is encouraged, and index cards will be provided to submit questions anonymously.

“We recognize with a topic such as this – which impacts people’s lives – there may be some reluctance to raise your hand and ask a question,” Weeg said.

Onken emphasized the importance of supporting everyone in the community.

“We are social beings. We survive and thrive through mutual and supportive connections – healthy interdependence,” Onken said.  “You and I are where we are through the grace of those who have supported us. Can’t we fully embrace and extend this concept to all of the members of our community?”

For students who feel that they are dealing with mental health concerns, Weeg suggests going to the UNI Counseling Center, stressing that the services there are both free and confidential.