‘Gimmicky’ awareness event not enough

TNS

Carr-Murphy says events like “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” while fundraising for organizations that benefit sexual assault survivors, can be problematic. She says it isn’t necessary for men to have fun to discuss sexual assault.

HANNAH CARR-MURPHY, Opinion Columnist

On Tuesday evening, there was a “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” event led by a fraternity on our UNI campus. I heard them clattering by from my night class on the second floor of Sabin, whooping and hollering enough to disrupt the students indoors taking a test.

Interested in how such a jocular event could be connected with sexual assault, I visited the website of the international organization, walkamileinhershoes.org.

What I found was not what I would hope, with phrases that tout events as “a playful opportunity for men to raise awareness” and express “it’s not easy walking in these shoes, but it’s fun.”

You know what’s not fun? Sexual assault. You know who doesn’t need their awareness of sexual assault raised? Women. And I don’t just mean women who have been sexually assaulted. I mean all women.

Women make choices all day, every day that reflect an awareness of sexual assault. Going out on a Friday night involves a group of people big enough for drinks to be watched while people go to the bathroom (preferably not alone).

For many women, walking home from campus at night means carrying the weight of pepper spray in their hands, and while my small pink can of “Ms. WhoopAss” is only a few ounces, the mental weight of sexual assault awareness is much heavier.

All of this is beside the egregious oversight of “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” that associates high heels with women and women only. I identify as a woman, and I have worn high heels exactly once this school year.

If a man really wants to walk in my shoes, I would be happy to lend him my combat boots, if only to show him that experience as a woman could never be summed up with a pair of high heeled shoes.

Even worse than an event trying to talk about respecting women unintentionally reducing experience as a woman-identified person to a pair of shoes is an event so completely unaware of how their atmosphere of fun could disrespect or mock members of the LGBT* community.

There are many people, who may or may not identify as men, who wear high heels by choice. And I don’t have the column space to start an educational dialogue here about how persons who are nonbinary, genderqueer or genderfluid may love high heels but object to their association with female pronouns.

You can email me if you have questions about that, and I will connect you with some great resources.

(As an aside, members of the LGBT* also do not need their awareness of sexual assault raised, since hate-motivated violence can often take the form of sexual assault.)

Lastly, (this paragraph is for the men’s rights advocates) associating sexual assault exclusively with females and women is something that only makes it harder for male survivors of sexual assault to come forward. And we can all agree, that’s harmful.

What I’m saying is: I appreciate fraternities on campus having fun events like a walk in high heeled shoes, but I don’t think it’s necessary for men to be having fun while we have a real dialogue about sexual assault.

In fact, maybe it would be best if they weren’t having fun. I know I’m never having fun when a close friend discloses sexual assault to me.

So, men, I know I sound very critical and un-fun. And I understand these events are often fundraisers for organizations that help survivors of sexual assault. But it’s not enough to just be aware, and it’s not enough to just not be “that guy.”

If you really want to get involved in the fight against sexual assault, there are lots of things you can do that don’t involve gimmicks.

Be friends with women. Believe your friends when they tell you they’ve been sexually assaulted.

Understand the resources on campus and in the community that you can direct your friends to if they have been sexually assaulted. Practice bystander intervention in the spaces you are in. Fight against comments that perpetuate rape culture when your bros say them.

You want to be involved, and I want everyone to be involved in the fight against sexual assault, but having an ally who isn’t mindful of the potential consequences of their actions is almost as bad as not having that ally at all.