You could not pick a better year to be a Panther fan

PHILIP ADAMS

The football team prepares for their matchup against Eastern Washington. The Panthers only lost one game at the UNI-Dome

KEVIN DEITRICK, Sports Columnist

Another year has gone by, and another great year it has been for UNI athletics. From fall to the spring, athletics have not disappointed here at UNI.

In football, the Panthers started off slow at 2-4. Oct. 24, against South Dakota State, something clicked in these guys’ brains.

Starting with the Jackrabbits, UNI slowly started to do things right, offensively and defensively. On that night and thereafter, the Panther offense scored an average of 34 points a game, while their defense only allowed 14 points per game (including playoffs).

They went on to win seven games in a row into the playoffs, before losing a tough game at the Fargo Dome against North Dakota State in the second round.

When it came to basketball, it was a great year to be a Panther.

To start the year, the women’s team were poised for a breakout season after returning four of their starters. They did not disappoint!

The Panther’s had two major winning streaks that propelled them to the top of the Missouri Valley Conference. From January 8-24, they won five in a row. During that span, they beat their opponents by an average of nine points.

Prior to that five-game winning streak, they were 6-7. Then from Feb. 7-March 12, the team won 10 in a row. During this streak, their defense was even better, holding teams to only 49 points.

Overall, UNI finished 24-11, and 15-3 in the Missouri Valley. They lost in the third round of the Women’s NIT (National Invitation Tournament) to South Dakota.

Men’s basketball was quite something. Yet another year has gone by, and Ben Jacobson has yet to fail to put out a quality basketball team.

The season started off strong as the Panthers defeated the then No. 1 North Carolina, who lost on a buzzer beater to Villanova in the championship game of the NCAA Tournament. If you had the chance to go to that game, chances are, you will remember it for the rest of your life.

“The student section at the North Carolina game was awesome. It was really loud and exciting to be a part of,” said Matt Gillen. “You don’t get to beat the No. 1 team in the country very often and the court storming was really cool.”

I, too, had the chance to go to the game, and there were many unforgettable moments – from Wes Washpun’s amazing dunk in front of the student section and his half-court shot at the buzzer before half time.

Then of course, the court storm. All of us students did not hesitate to take the chance to run onto the court. We will never forget that.

After seeing that game, one would think that this team were poised for an awesome year. But over their next 18 games, they won eight and lost 10 – leaving them with the dreary record of 10-11 and looked like they were going to miss the tournament.

But if you thought they were out, they won nine of their next 10 going into the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) Tournament. They went on to win the MVC Tournament after beating Evansville on a buzzer beater by Washpun.

They made the NCAA Tournament for the second year in a row and had the tough task of facing the Texas Longhorns in the first round. In a back and forth game, it came down to the final seconds.

It was a tied 72-72 when the Panthers got the last possession with time running out. They inbounded the ball to Paul Jesperson, who chucked a prayer from half-court. Wouldn’t you know it, it goes right in!

In another unforgettable moment, we got to see the team celebrate with Panther legend, Kurt Warner, in the locker room. In the second round, they played Texas A&M. We all know what happened, and it must not be talked about again.

What an awesome year it has been. The student section has been at its best all year.

“It was electric,” Matt Gillen said when asked about the energy of the student section. “It’s awesome to be around people who are really passionate about Panther Sports. UNI Athletics this year was very successful . . . I think all of the teams competed very well and made their fan base proud.”

I couldn’t agree more, Matt. I couldn’t agree more.