2CELLOS bring a modern take on a classical instrument

On Tuesday, cello duo Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser, better known to their millions of fans as 2CELLOS, performed to a packed house at Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.

Known for their unconventional and creative approach to the use of a cello, the group performed a variety of musical genres, from classical to modern-day pop music, using just two cellos, with additional accompaniment from drummer Dusan Kranjc.

Sulic and Hauser showed off their technical as well as melodic prowess on their instruments, trading off playing the instrument and vocal melodies of each of their covers with seamless transitions.

The group had a full sound, covering the melodic range of the song, despite only having two of the same instrument.

“The reason why we started a group with only two cellos is because we wanted to show how strong and powerful this instrument is, all the possibilities that it brings,” said Sulic. “It’s the greatest instrument ever.”
“I fell in love with the cello when I heard it on the radio when I was young,” said Hauser. “It’s warm and gentle, and it’s the instrument that sounds most like a human’s voice.”
The two played off of each other throughout the show, not only trading riffs but also glances and body language that suggested a duel was constantly being waged between them as they performed.

In their cover of Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal,” the song ended with a frantic race to the finish where each tried to play faster and better than the other before a swift and sudden stop.

The rapport between the two started in their youth. Each grew up in Croatia, picking up the cello at an early age.

“There aren’t a lot of cellists in Croatia,” said Sulic. “We met at a summer camp and we felt this chemistry between us.”

“We used to be rivals when we performed individually, but now we duel each other onstage,” said Hauser.

Indeed, the 2CELLOS’ competitive nature brought them their initial fame when they released a music video of themselves performing “Smooth Criminal” on YouTube two years ago.

There, the world first got a glimpse of the two cellists, showing off their technical skill and passion in their unique cover of the song.

In the video, Sulic and Hauser play across from each other, each trying to better the other.

“We wanted to do something crazy – something that could show off the cello’s capabilities,” Sulic said, referring to the video.

The cellists may have had an ulterior motive as well.

“We wanted to get girls,” said Hauser. “Girls don’t respond to the classical music, the Beethoven, but when we played Michael Jackson, they loved that. We wanted to be rock stars.”

For a cello concert, the night had more than its fair share of rock and roll. The group covered various hits by rock acts such as U2, Green Day, AC/DC and Jimi Hendrix, all while using carbon-fiber electric cellos.

Their choice in this version of the instrument allowed them the opportunity to use effects more often associated with the electric guitar, including distortion, loops and a shimmering chorus effect used on their cover of “Human Nature” by Michael Jackson.

The concert began with “Benedictus,” a somber, classical melody that evolved into the beginning of “Where the Streets Have No Name” by U2.

From there, 2CELLOS played a variety of contemporary hits they covered on their new album, “In2ition,” including “Viva La Vida” and “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” by Coldplay, “With or Without You” by U2, “Good Riddance” by Green Day and the classical “The Book of Love” by The Magnetic Fields.

“We just want people to enjoy the music,” said Sulic. “This album represents who we are as musicians. We don’t divide music into genres; it’s all the same to us.”

The show ended with a rousing crescendo. Joined by their drummer, the 2CELLOS closed the show with a myriad of rock covers, including “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix. They ended the night with the back-to-back to back AC/DC covers, “You Shook Me All Night Long,” “Highway to Hell” and “Back in Black.”

At the end of the show, the audience was on its feet, giving the duo a standing ovation that led to an encore.

The audience clapped along and cheered loudly at the various feats Sulic and Hauser displayed on the cello. With their mixing of the new with the old, the duo delivered a unique cello performance that challenged the traditional use of the instrument.

“They were great,” said Jonathan Haverdink, a freshman cello performance major. “But I felt they also took advantage of all the money they had (with their use of effects). They used a variety of crowd-pleasing tricks that I felt was a little cheap.”