All-Americans: UNI crowns most All-Americans since 2002

The Northern Iowa wrestling team took to the mats a final time this season at the NCAA National Tournament in Oklahoma City. The season has seen the Panthers break numerous school records, but UNI was not done yet.

At the end of the tournament, the Panthers totaled three All-Americans for the first time since 2002 and finished 15th in team scoring.

Joe Colon, Joey Lazor and Dylan Peters all earned their first All-American titles. Colon led the team, finishing in third place at 133 pounds. Peters and Lazor both finished in 6th place at 125 and 141 pounds, respectively.

Peters became the first UNI freshman All-American since 1996 and the highest placing freshman at nationals since assistant coach Mark Schwab in 1986.

In the first round, Peters defeated Cory Clark of Iowa in a 9-3 decision before beating Nebraska’s Tim Lambert by another decision, 7-5. After defeating Earl Hall of Iowa State, Peters was defeated by top-ranked Jesse Delgado of Illinois to force him into wrestle backs. Peters lost his next two matches to fall to sixth place.

Entering as the No. 1-ranked wrestler in the nation at 133 pounds, Colon won his first three matches — two by major decision — to reach the semifinals.

Colon fell in a tight match to Tyler Graff of Wisconsin, forcing him to compete for third place. Colon won his next two matches, including a 1-0 decision over No. 2-ranked A.J. Schoop of Edinboro to finish in third place.

Lazor, who fell just short of earning All-American status last season, came back to finish the job in his senior season.

Lazor began the tournament with two victories, including a 10-8 decision over Chris Dardanes of Minnesota, using a late takedown to take the win. Lazor suffered an injury in his loss against Evan Henderson of North Carolina, forcing him to forfeit a chance at fifth place.

Overall, UNI sent seven wrestlers to the tournament.

After losing his first match of the tournament, Ryan Loder had to fight back for a chance to become a three-time All-American, falling just one match short.

At 285 pounds, Blaize Cabell nearly came away with an upset over No. 1 Anthony Nelson, falling in a 1-0 decision. Cabell was knocked out in the next round, falling to Joe Stolfi of Bucknell.

After winning his first match over Daniel Zilverberg of Minnesota, Cooper Moore lost two consecutive matches to fall short of a chance at All-American status.

At 174 pounds, Cody Caldwell won a tight match over Cody Walters, 9-6, before falling to Elliot Reddick of Lehigh in a 12-9 match. Joe Latham of Oregon State sent Caldwell home in a 10-5 decision.

The Panthers return Peters, Cabell, Moore and many other young wrestlers next season to replace one of UNI’s best senior wrestling classes.