AmmUNItion opportunity

Name one activity your pre-college education offered that the University of Northern Iowan has not, aside from recess and prom. Think along the lines of sparkling costumes, eight-part harmonies, risers, a band, fog machines, big hair and subsequently lots of hairspray.

Has a festering wound been re-opened at the thought of never experiencing these things again? No need to be in anguish any longer, because this void can finally be filled. Introducing (a drum roll would be appropriate here) the hottest new student organization to blaze the campus of the University of Northern Iowa: show choir!

Upon my arrival to campus more than four years ago, not much was left to be desired. We have great food all over campus, our classes are taught by awesome professors and we are granted free admission to all theatre, music and athletic events; which totally rocks the boat.

However, UNI did not offer a show choir. I bid farewell to my favorite days of singing my heart out, the blissful moments of dancing in sync with dozens of other talented comrades and soaking up audiences’ roars of approval. I prayed my yearning for show choir would soon dissipate; it would be a long haul if I continued to desire something that just couldn’t be. But wait. It could be. A magnificent thing exists at UNI: any student can create and propose a new student organization!

The steps to constructing a student organization are simple, and the outcome is so worth it. You design an idea for a new organization, reach out to other interested students, seek out a UNI faculty/staff advisor, create a mission statement and constitution and then present your developed idea to the Northern Iowa Student Government for approval. Voila: the birth of a new organization.

Vocal AmmUNItion (the clever name of the show choir organization) is open to all students. We will be auditioning in the very near future to compose a group of 40-60 members that will represent their love for the performance arts and pride for UNI. Consider rekindling your passion for this activity. If show choir is not your forte, do not hesitate to form a new student organization of your own if nothing currently exists to satisfy your wildest desires. After all, college is about the whole experience; you cannot rely on receiving your entire education in the classroom. Take advantage of the autonomy UNI offers us. Do something!