NISG responds to Charlottesville

As you may be aware, on Aug. 12 of this year a rally and protest took place in Charlottesville, Virginia, beginning at the University of Virginia. This rally consisted of torches and provocative slogans, meant to spread hate, and instigate riot. Many symbols of hate and racist ideology were represented during the events that unfolded.

In the course of the rally, violent acts took place that injured as many as 19 people and killed Heather Heyer, a Charlottesville native. In light of these events, it is imperative that this administration fully condemn these hateful symbols and ideas including but not limited to: Nazis, the Klu Klux Klan, White Supremacy and more.

While there is always a place for free speech on campus, there is no place for speech that threatens a student’s sense of safety or ability to be a part of this community. Here on UNI’s campus, we stand in solidarity as one, recognizing that we are here to support and advocate for one another both in times of need and even in the times when there is no real event or reason. While events like the one earlier this month grab our attention, our mission to support students of all backgrounds and beliefs persists regardless of national attention.

Students should always be able to call UNI home, and no amount of hateful language or actions should be able to change that. There’s a lot of good on campus here, and it is our intention to continue to highlight that good. Events like these reaffirm the words found outside of Maucker Union:

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

In light of these events, we will be hosting a peace rally on Thursday, Aug. 31 at 4:15 p.m. on the top of the Union. At this peace rally, you will hear from university administration and huge advocates for diversity and inclusion on this campus about what it means to be a Panther and how we value the differences of others.

This will be a time for the UNI community to come together and stand in solidarity for the unfortunate events that have occurred at other universities and to recognize and celebrate the diversity of others on our own campus. Please come out and show your support for the entire UNI student body as we aim to engage, educate, equip and empower you all as students.

— Jamal White, Student Body President

— Tristan Bernhard, Student Body Vice President

— Darvel Givens, Director of Diversity