Self-care tips for stressed out students

BRENNA WOLFE, Opinion Columnist

To all the freshman and transfers, welcome! As the new school year starts and you are facing a major life change, my biggest piece of advice is to remember to take care of yourself.

Self-care is exactly as it sounds; it is any intentional act taken to meet an individual’s physical, mental, spiritual or emotional needs.

In short, it’s all the little ways we take care of ourselves to avoid a breakdown in our health. Your health, mind and body is so important, especially during a change. If you are struggling or not at your best, how can you complete your responsibilities?

The health of your mind affects the health of your body. According to Mayo Clinic, a lack of sleep can make you more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, and it can affect how fast you recover.

So, in the weeks to come, do frequent inventories on yourself. Are you stressed or overwhelmed? Are you exhausted? Do you need more sleep? Are you feeding your body the nutrition it needs? Do you need alone time? Do you need social time? Do you need a break from school? Are you lonely?

If you find that you are in need of some self-care, find something that makes you feel good. Everyone has different self-care routines.

Here is a list of self-care examples you can do to treat yourself: watch Netflix, take a nap, listen to music, exercise, vent about your worries, go for a walk, hang out with friends, plan time by yourself, masturbate, knit, go to the movies, write a daily list of accomplishments, cook, bake desserts, go out to eat, call your family, eat a vegetable, drink more water, take study breaks, create a new hobby, pray, attend a student organization meeting, go to church, have sex, get a massage or manicure, read, write a list of things you are grateful for, take a break from technology, explore the campus, take a vacation, draw or paint, swing, go to the humane society for some animal love, drink some wine, sing in the shower, do some meditation, eat dessert, do homework outside, garden, write a list of things you love about yourself, ride a bike, listen to an audiobook or put positive affirmations and inspirational quotes around your mirror.

Personally, I love to watch Netflix and nap.

Over this new transition in your life, don’t feel guilty if you need a break. My advice is to take that break. Please take care of yourself and be sure to treat yo’ self. Practice that self-care and be happier.