LTE: CBA instructor defends athletics

NI ARCHIVES

George Scully, instructor in the College of Business Administration, criticized Dennis Clayson, a marketing professor, for a recent Courier editorial that called for the removal of UNI’s athletic programs.

In a recent editorial in the Courier, Professor Dennis Clayson argued that UNI should do away with all athletic programs. 

I strongly disagree with his recommendation and believe a vast majority of faculty and staff at UNI, as well as the general public, also disagree with Professor Clayson.

Yes, athletics does use general fund money to finance their operation. But I suspect other very important institutions on campus use general fund money such as Gallagher-Bluedorn, the Rod Library, and the Wellness Center. I doubt any of these are “profit centers,” but they are vital parts of the UNI campus. 

Funds allocated to athletics result in numerous positive results. One such result takes place when our teams enjoy a high level of success. They do gain national recognition. How about a Sports Illustrated cover when the men’s basketball team defeated Kansas in the NCAA tournament? How about national exposure on ESPN when our football team participates in the national championship playoffs? I am surprised Professor Clayson, as a marketing professor, doesn’t recognize and appreciate the value of free advertising these activities provide for the University. 

On a more technical note, a reduction in the operating budget of 4 million dollars that would result from closing down athletics does not automatically transfer those funds into the capital budget for new buildings, as Clayson suggested. Shutting down the basketball programs, for example, does not guarantee a series of new buildings will sprout up on campus.

There is much more to college athletics and other extra-curricular activities than simply revenue generation. These activities are part of the college experience. If you would ever see a UNI campus that did not offer athletic programs, you would see a significant drop in enrollment and many faculty and staff would lose their jobs. 

Be very careful what you wish for Professor Clayson. 

— George Scully, Instructor, College of Business Admin.