Bike thefts on the upswing

When warmer weather creeps in, so do bike thieves. In the beginning of fall and spring, the UNI Police Department receives more reports regarding bike thefts than at any other time of the year, according to Milissa Wright, associate director of UNI Public Safety.

Fifteen bike thefts were reported for spring 2014. Twenty-two have been reported for the 2013-14 so far. Twenty-eight bike thefts were reported 2012-13 and 39 for 2011-12.

Wright said perpetrators typically target more expensive brands like Treks and Gary Fisher bikes.

“U-Locks are the biggest thing to get,” Wright said. “People carry cutters and backpacks, so they’re not readily seen to people. U-Locks, you can’t cut them with cutters.”

Kramer Dixon, junior graphic design major, was a victim of bike theft, even though he kept his bike under lock and key.

“My bike was stolen in October,” Dixon said. “I was upset and confused because it was surrounded by nicer bikes.”

Wright recommends registering bikes and keeping track of their serial numbers. She also said having a unique characteristic such as a sticker can make identifying a bike easier.

However, if a student left their bike locked to a tree or a pole, it may not have been stolen. UNI Police impounds bikes that are not properly attached to a bike rack.

If anything of a student’s has been stolen, they should contact UNI Police at 319-273-2712.