Bipartisan event celebrates end of election

University of Northern Iowa students celebrated the end of this year’s election season on Monday night in the Maucker Union ballroom with cookies, punch, lemonade and live entertainment.

Students were seen relaxing with their friends, though some of them brought homework to the party.

The focus of the celebration was the end of elections, but students made no claim that everything about the elections was negative.

Adam Shannon, a junior computer science and mathematics major, said, “A lot of the people who were put into office are interested in making UNI a better place for students.”
The night kicked off with a performance from Half-Masted, a UNI improv comedy troupe, which according to their Facebook page is “comprised of students, graduates and dropouts.”
Initially, they took five word suggestions from the audience, which consisted of “Furby,” “red,” “seven,” “goosefraba” and “airplane.” Each of the five cast members came on and off stage as their word was said, in a scene which took place in the bathroom of a bar. Plenty of jokes and toilet humor brought laughs from the crowd.

Other acts they performed included a reverse-alphabet conversation about “Zenon, Girl of the 21st Century” and a sketch using the arms of cast members and the bodies of audience members to make complete people.

Their final act was a sketch involving mystery guests at a bar mitzvah. The mystery guests included Mordecai from “Regular Show,” a man whose feet were all of the Power Rangers and a squash who, upon his character being found out, said, “I’m going to go be a centerpiece somewhere.”
UNI Jazz Band Four finished out the night playing some slow tunes along with some up-tempo jazz while attendees discussed why they were so glad they never had to see another campaign ad on YouTube. At least not for another four years anyway.