Board of Regents discusses potential 5 to 6 percent tuition increase

A member of the Iowa Board of Regents recently expressed his desire to see a 5 to 6 percent tuition increase for the 2010-2011 academic year.

During a recent board meeting, the Board of Regents identified a baseline tuition increase of 2.7 percent for the University of Northern Iowa, the University of Iowa and Iowa State University as part of a request for a $767.6 million state appropriation.

According to UNI President Ben Allen, the Higher Education Price Index – which measures the inflation rate applicable to institutions of higher education – has provided a recommended tuition increase ranging from 1.7 percent to 3.7 percent, with the assumed baseline of 2.7 percent being the median.

With the ongoing financial crisis and a decrease in state funding, however, Regent Craig Lang feels that this isn’t enough, and expressed his desire to see a tuition increase of 5 to 6 percent at the board meeting. This would mean an estimated $300 tuition increase for in-state students and an estimated $800 tuition increase for out-of-state students.

“He has the best interest of the Regent institutions and our students in mind,” said Board of Regents President David Myles. “He wants to make sure that we protect the quality of our institutions when state budgets are tight and I very much appreciate his commitment to maintaining quality.”

UNI President Benjamin Allen, however, does not feel that this increase is necessary and expressed surprise at Regent Lang’s suggestion.

“I think that we need some tuition increase, but more in that 2.7 range, not higher,” he said.

Northern Iowa Student Government President Adam Haselhuhn also supports the 2.7 percent increase, stating that while a tuition increase is inevitable, it should be manageable to students.

“I understand we will have a lack of state support, because the state is facing a budget crisis,” he said. “It’ll be a challenge, but I just don’t think students and families in Iowa can afford to see tuition increase by drastic numbers and I think going above 5 (percent) is a drastic change.”

As part of an effort to decrease costs, none of the presidents of Regents universities will receive a pay raise, including Allen. Additionally, presidents that did not previously receive bonuses, like Allen and President Gregory Geoffroy of Iowa State University, will also not be receiving bonuses this year.

Although Regent Lang’s comments have caused a lot of controversy, Myles thinks it’s important to remember that they are just a recommendation and that no decisions have been reached yet regarding a tuition increase.

“We’re at the very front end of the process,” he said. “Regent Lang had some observations to make right at the start, and he’s of course entitled to do that.”

The Board of Regents will be discussing a tuition increase at its October board meeting, where student leaders from the Regents universities will be able to present their viewpoints on the issue. The board will then receive feedback throughout the month of November and make a decision in December.