Six-game soccer win streak comes to an end

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kelsey Hansen, No. 8, looks ahead to get ready to pass the ball. She has seen a total of 457 minutes of play time in all seven games of the current season.

IRIS FRASHER

IRIS FRASHER

IRIS FRASHER

JOEL WAUTERS, Sports Writer

The UNI women’s soccer team lost their first game of the season this past Sunday after a 2-1 loss to the Montana Grizzlies at the Cedar Valley Soccer Complex in Waterloo. The loss ended the Panthers’ initial six game winning streak.

Despite the loss, which came after the Grizzlies made a game-winning goal in the 57th minute, the Panthers continue to show signs of a strong season.

UNI kicked off their 2017 campaign on the road with a dominant 5-0 win over the Chicago State Cougars in the Windy City. The Panthers played two more road games, posting back to back 2-0 shutouts of the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks and the South Dakota Coyotes.

Defending the Panthers’ home field in Waterloo began on Sept. 1 when the North Dakota State Bison came to town, only to fall 1-0 to the purple and gold. The Kansas State Wildcats and South Dakota State Jackrabbits met the same fate as the Bison later in the same week.

In their first seven games, the Panthers outscored their opponents 13-2 and recorded shutouts in all six wins. Much of UNI’s offensive efficiency can be attributed to forwards from Brynell Yount and Sarah Brandt, who have combined for seven goal and four assists.

Because of their strong play on the attack, Yount and Brandt have etched their names into UNI soccer history as members of the top five goal scorers in team history with 10 and 12 scores respectively.

In the goaltender’s box, keeper Jami Reichenberger looks to continue her strong defense of the UNI net after facing 72 shots on goal in the first seven games, only allowing two goals in the loss to Montana, giving her a save percentage of 93 percent.

As the season progresses, the Panthers are sitting high in the Missouri Valley Conference standings and are currently posted at #12 in the United States Coaches Midwest Regional Rankings.

UNI will hit the pitch next on Friday, Sept. 15 as they face the Northern Illinois Huskies on the road.  Fans of the purple and gold can catch the women’s soccer team next at home on Sunday, Sept. 17 as they host the North Dakota Fighting Hawks at the Cedar Valley Soccer Complex.

Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and fans are encouraged to wear purple for Panther Mayhem Day.