Brad’s Sports Blurb: Lucas O’Rear… the true definition of a leader

If you had to think of a word or phrase to describe the basketball program at the University of Northern Iowa during Ben Jacobson’s five-year head coaching tenure, what would you think of? The following may come to mind: successful, stellar defense, leadership, hustle, high basketball IQ, unselfish and entertaining. However, you could cover all those phrases and more just by saying one name… Lucas O’Rear.

Jacobson announced Thursday morning that O’Rear, a senior from DuBois, Ill., will miss the remainder of the season due to a fractured ankle suffered late in Wednesday night’s 53-51 victory over Illinois State University.

In his time as a Panther, O’Rear brought a certain mentality to the UNI basketball team that isn’t found in many programs around the country, and the Panthers have flourished over the past four seasons because of it.

The defending two-time Missouri Valley Conference Sixth Man of the Year became a fan favorite and cult hero a season ago with his distinguished mutton-chop side burns that could have made even Grizzly Adams blush. This season he decided to take his facial hair fashion even further by growing an Amish-style beard as well as a mullet, which got praise from everyone including teammates.

“Luke has so many styles. He’s got that mullet look going on,” said fellow senior Kwadzo Ahelegbe. “That’s just Lucas’ personality.”

And let’s not forget about that four-leaf clover and eagle that he has tattooed on his arms. He’s the true definition of a crowd favorite. But do we love him and cheer for him because of all this? No; on game nights the McLeod Center rafters ring with the name “Luuuuuke” because he puts as much effort into a basketball game as any coach or fan could ever ask for.

Sure, opposing players and fans may not enjoy the 6-foot-6, 260-pound menace who sets screens like a brick wall. But even they couldn’t argue that he gave 110 percent every second he was on the basketball court.

“He’s a tough, hard-nosed competitor,” said Illinois State head coach Tim Jankovich. “His motor is always running.”

While O’Rear may not have a place in the UNI basketball record books with his 529 career points and 517 career rebounds, he will always have a place in our hearts. Whether we remember him for setting blistering screens, diving for loose balls or skying for rebounds, O’Rear did it all with a passion, mentality and leadership unmatched by many athletes today.

I would like to conclude by saying, from all of us here in Panther country: thanks for the memories, Luuuuucas O’Rear.