Volleyball undefeated within MVC

JOSHUA STENGER

Junior Bri Weber (4) is an outside hitter for the Panther’s volleyball team. Weber has 258.5 points this season as well as 223 kills.

EMMETT LYNCH, Sports Writer

The UNI Panthers made the strong move to 4-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference. The volleyball team hosted back-to-back home games after being on the road against Valparaiso and Loyola.

The Panthers took home victories in both games, beating Loyola 3-0 and Valparaiso 3-1. UNI kept that winning mentality going into this weekend in their first home games since Superhero Night in their victory against Northern Illinois.

The Panthers hosted Bradley University in the McLeod Center on the 25th anniversary since the beginning of women’s sports within the Missouri Valley Conference this past Friday. The Panthers reached a season best with a .398 hitting percentage in a 3-0 sweep against the Braves.

UNI also had a total of 43 kills in this three-set victory.  UNI is now 63-9 all-time against Bradley. This marked the 28th straight time the Braves have lost to the Panthers in Cedar Falls.

Freshman Jaydlin Seehase led the team in kills as she recorded 11. Seehase also notched a career-high five blocks. Junior Piper Thomas continued her dominance, racking up 10 kills with a .667 hitting percentage.

In three league matches, Thomas has recorded 46 kills on 97 total attacks; she also added a pair of solo blocks, which set her career total at 63. After achieving 63 total blocks, she ranks at No. nine in Northern Iowa’s all-time history for solo blocks.

Sophomore Karlie Taylor also added to the Panther kills list this match by adding 10 kills, setting a career-high three service aces in the triumph.

The winning didn’t stop there as the Panthers faced Illinois State in the McLeod Center this past Saturday in the Gold Game for Childhood Cancer. The Panthers have now created a four-game win streak, which is the longest streak of the season so far.

Bri Weber came out strong recording 21 kills in the 3-1 victory against the Redbirds. Coming right behind her was Thomas with 18 kills on the match, and moving up to No. eight on the all-time solo block list. Taylor recorded her 10th double-double with 13 kills and a match high 22 digs and is now leading the team in double-doubles after her performance against Illinois State.

Abbi Staack came up big for the Panthers with a dig that resulted in a kill that tied the set at 23-23, which ultimately led to a 26-24 set victory for UNI. The Panthers then went on to tally 20 more kills in the remainder of the match, resulting in a 3-1 match victory against the Redbirds. The Panthers now have a 4-0 record in the Missouri Valley Conference.

The Panthers are set to play Indiana State on Oct. 6 away from home in Terre Haute, Indiana.