Cedar Falls Mayor Jon Crews seeks 13th term

Cedar Falls Mayor Jon Crews is seeking his 13th term as mayor this November. The University of Northern Iowa is playing an interesting role in this election. A UNI student is running against a man who has been part of the Cedar Falls community practically his entire life.

Comments previously made by Crews’ contender UNI sophomore Gage Rewerts about the supposed superior attitude of the Cedar Falls community has caused Crews to feel the need to set the record straight.

After attending West Point for a period of time, Crews came to UNI and graduated with a degree in teaching and social sciences. He later went on to receive a master’s degree in history and an MBA from UNI as well. Crews believes UNI plays an integral part in the community, both culturally and economically.

In regards to the city’s inclusion of UNI, or lack thereof in some opinions, Crews cited the fact that Cedar Falls has the lowest unemployment rate in Iowa at 4.2 percent.

Students are not only involved in the work force, but in volunteering as well. This past year, Iowa achieved a ranking of fifth in the nation for volunteer service rates at 37.1 percent. Furthermore, the Waterloo and Cedar Falls area ranked sixth in the nation with a volunteer rate of 39.3 percent.

According to a press release by Adam Lounsbury, “Much of the increase is attributed to a significant rate of college volunteerism.” Crews asserted that he recognizes the asset the UNI students are in the community.

Beyond that, Crews has found that collaboration with UNI students has been a frequent and beneficial relationship. With students participating in city council meetings, UNI concerns such as bus routes around campus and landlord responsibility have been addressed. The new landlord accountability ordinance passed in January was made to monitor the relationship and accountability that landlords should have for their attendants and houses.

“I am a very strong supporter of UNI,” said Crews.

With children that have gone through the university, giving money for scholarships and loans to the university and personally receiving an education here, he feels a strong affinity toward UNI.

In regards to comments made by Rewerts, Crews asserted that as mayor, “it’s not productive to split a community; it’s more productive to bring people together.”