Homecoming Parade

KIRBY DAVIS, Staff Photographer

On Saturday, Oct. 7, UNI’s annual Homecoming Parade took to the streets as students and community members showed off their school spirit hours before the weekend’s big football game.

The parade was sponsored by University Book & Supply.

Student organizations entered in the parade gathered at Gilchrist parking lot at 9:30 a.m. to check in and begin decorating their golf carts before the judging began at 10 a.m.

There were over 50 groups participating in the parade, not to mention the variety of vehicles and characters that also partook in the parade activities.

The parade began with UNI President Mark Nook  and the Homecoming Court leading the way, followed by organizations featuring a Panther purple Volkswagen Beetle, a purple and gold international tractor and an orange-gold motorcycle with a side car.

As a way to tie in this year’s Star Wars-inspired Homecoming theme of “Panthers Awaken,” there were also appearances from Yoda, Darth Vader and Storm Troopers.

Other characters in attendance included Snow White, the Culver’s Ice Cream Cone, a T-Rex inflatible costume and several dogs decked out in costumes.

The parade almost didn’t take place. Due to the stormy conditions of the previous day and forecasts of inclement weather, the parade was put on pending basis. This meant that participants would be notified by 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning if the parade was still happening.

Come Saturday morning, the clouds were dark and the wind was chilled, but UNI students, alumni and future Panthers still turned out to watch the parade.

As 11 a.m. approached, the sky cleared and the sun came out to shine on all those in attendance

Many families had turned out dressed in all purple and gold, showing their Panther pride and wearing excited faces as the floats passed them.

Panther Mayhem won the Panther Spirit Award among those student organizations partaking in the parade.