Conference to highlight Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Friends of Sabeel Iowa is offering students a unique perspective on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East with their upcoming conference “A Free Palestine and a Secure Israel: From Occupation to Liberation and Reconciliation” Oct. 9-10 in the Schindler Education Center.

The conference will raise awareness about the conflict from a perspective not typically seen in the news while calling for a peaceful resolution to the bloody dispute, which is marked by a high number of civilian casualties.

“We are interested in a peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict,” said Event Planner Don Wiederanders. “We are primarily concerned – as is the United Nations – with a two-state solution, but anything that will promote peace and justice is far better than what’s going on now.”

A large variety of internationally-acclaimed speakers will highlight the conference, including Naim Ateek, founder and director of the Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center in Jerusalem and author of the book “A Palestinian Christian Cry For Reconciliation,” and Jeff Halper, coordinator of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions in Jerusalem and author of “An Israeli in Palestine: Resisting Dispossession, Redeeming Israel.” Israeli police arrested Halper in April 2008 for attempting to prevent the destruction of a Palestinian house in Jerusalem.

Other speakers include President of the Islamic Center of Des Moines Luai Amro and Don Wagner, professor and director of North Park University’s Center for Middle East Studies and author of “Anxious for Armageddon: A Call to Partnership for Middle Eastern and Western Christians.” More than 20 of his students from Chicago’s North Park University will be attending the conference.

Every keynote speaker will also lead workshops where attendees will get the opportunity to discuss questions with them about what is happening in the Middle East and what can be done to promote peace. The conference will also feature vendors of Palestinian olive oil and other items.

One highlight of the conference will be a Middle Eastern banquet served in the Commons, complete with a performance from UNI professor of theatre Richard Glockner’s “Passages to Palestine,” a devised theatre performance that features UNI students and raises awareness about the conflict and students’ apathy toward it.

“I think it will be a good educational experience for anyone who will attend,” Wiederanders said. “I think we have something that is unique and very worthwhile for anyone who is interested in what’s really going on (in the Middle East).”

Students can attend the full conference for $25 by registering at www.sabeeliowa.org. A pre-conference interfaith service and reception will be held at First Presbyterian Church, 902 Main St. at 7 p.m. on Oct. 8.