Swapping clothes for a cause

• Students were able to swap clothes from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. last Tuesday night in the Maucker Union Ballroom. This event was hosted by Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life.

MONIQUE SMITH, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Oct. 17, the UNI chapter of Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life hosted a Clothing Swap event to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Students paid $5 to participate, and the event went from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

“100 percent of the money that we make goes back to the American Cancer Society,” said Katrina Ganschow, mission executive of the UNI chapter of Colleges Against Cancer.

Ganschow is also a student at UNI, in her junior year, studying elementary education.

This semester, all of the clothes will be donated to a local non-profit program. Some of the clothes will go to a domestic violence organization, and some will go to the homeless organizations in the area to help the community. Initially, the unwanted clothes were going to be donated to the hurricane disaster areas; however, this proved unnecessary, as they are more in need of money at this point than clothing.

“They said to try our local organizations because they would benefit more from the clothing than sending them to the hurricane disaster areas,” Ganschow said.

As the mission executive, Ganschow came up with the idea of using a clothing swap to raise money, and this is the second time the event will run.

“Whether we run the event next semester and next year will depend on how much money we make,” Ganschow said.

Colleges Against Cancer works with the American Cancer Society, and the organization hosts a Relay for Life event each year to raise money for anybody who has been impacted by cancer.

“We spend a whole day raising money for the American Cancer Society. We do different events like Zumba and the blazing hot Buffalo Wild Wings challenge,” Ganschow said. “We just make it really fun, and the day is dedicated to fighting back, remembering and celebrating the individuals that have had cancer, or those who have somebody that has been affected by cancer personally.”

Colleges Against Cancer and Relay for Life benefit not only those who are struggling with cancer, but also those around them who are impacted by the disease.

“Since my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and once I came to UNI, I decided I wanted to get more involved with cancer organizations on campus,” said Sierra Dougherty, a freshman at UNI.

She is an undecided major and is a part of the missions committee for Colleges Against Cancer.

“I found Relay for Life and since joining, I have realized how much of an impact this organization has on survivors, as well as the families and caregivers that take care of patients with cancer,” Dougherty said. “I’m extremely excited that I decided to join Relay for Life, and I can’t wait to continue out the year with this organization.”

The Relay for Life event for this year is on April 6, and the event will go from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. It’s $15 to register.

“We are the largest non-profit cancer fighting organization in the world,” said Tammy Schoonover, an employee of the American Cancer Society, who is also a part of Relay for Life at UNI.

“The funds raised go to research, patient programs and education,” Schoonover said. “There are over 5,000 Relay for Life organizations across the country and UNI is just one little part of it.”