Doing Halloween the ‘college way’

TNS

Opinion columnist Cristian Ortiz offers some advice to students who aren’t sure how best to celebrate Halloween this weekend.

CRISTIAN ORTIZ, Opinion Columnist

The leaves are changing colors and gradually falling off tree branches all over campus. The air’s getting cooler, and more jackets and sweaters are starting to appear on students as they hustle to classes.

“The Walking Dead” has made its return for the new season. Horror and thriller movie marathons are on repeat on TV. Pumpkins are being placed outside apartment and dorm doors. This can only mean one thing…Halloween is right around the corner.

If you’re like me, you might have procrastinated on finding a costume or might not even know what exactly you’re going to be doing for Halloween.

First of all, in case you didn’t know, since Halloween falls on a Tuesday next week, people are going to be celebrating this weekend, before Halloween. And I’m sure there will be some events on Tuesday too.

If you’re struggling on finding an idea on what to wear, don’t worry. There are plenty of cheap and easy costume ideas out there. As I got stuck brainstorming on what I should wear, I decided to look at the movies and TV shows that recently came out. There are many that provide some fun costume ideas.

I found that some particularly good ideas came from movies and shows such as, “Baby Driver,” “A Ghost Story,” “Get Out,” “Blade Runner 2049,” “Riverdale,” “Stranger Things,” “Logan Lucky” and so much more.

As Halloween draws closer, I knew it was finally time to make a decision of what I will be wearing. So, I bought some glasses, a jacket and got my white Apple headphones ready.

That’s right. I decided I’m going to be going as Baby from “Baby Driver.” It’s not only a really easy costume to put together, but it’s also a fun one, too. Not to mention that it’s also just a really good movie.

Now for something to do…

There’s always going to be plenty of house parties and people dressed up at the bars. But what else?

Well, if you haven’t seen yet, there are a ton of posters all over campus for a wide variety of different Halloween events that are being hosted by many of UNI’s clubs and organizations. So, go to your local bulletin board and find an event. There are plenty of options for you to explore and enjoy.

And guess what? A lot of these events have free food and free candy. These things always make events at college so much better.

There are plenty of events that are during the week too, so if you find yourself re-watching the same scary movie on TV or wanting a reason to procrastinate homework, there will definitely be something out there for you to do!

And I don’t care what anybody says. We are not too old to go trick-or-treating.

If you want some more free candy, go trick-or-treating on Tuesday night. I’ve never gone in Cedar Falls before, but I’m sure there are plenty of people who will find it amusing that college kids are out trick-or-treating and who will surely throw some candy your way.

Who knows? Baby might even make his first Cedar Falls trick-or-treating appearance.