Differences in food prices

From dining centers to grab-and-go stores to gas stations to shopping centers, University of Northern Iowa students have a variety of places to grab a quick snack or meal. However, some UNI students have mixed feelings about the prices of products on campus.

“I think the prices here are a little expensive,” said Katelyn Horner, freshman graphic technology major. “I could go to Walmart and see that yogurt is cheaper there while Biscotti’s price is about $2.”

Food prices at the stores on campus are decided every year in August.

“The managers have the price that we pay to the vendor and use a formula to meet a certain margin in order to pay for food and labor,” said Carol Peterson, director of dining services. She also said they do a price comparison with other stores.

Along with Biscotti’s, other stores around the University of Northern Iowa include the 23rd Street Market, Essentials and Prexy’s. All on-campus stores have the same prices.

“We want to give students the best possible products at the best possible prices, so we really try to keep the prices as low as possibly can,” said Peterson.

If students want to venture off campus, they can go to places such as Hy-Vee, Walmart, Target or Panther Town.

Nichole Aitchison, freshman English education major, and Eric Sitzmann, junior management information services major, said they shop at Hy-Vee. Hy-Vee, like Walmart, is open 24 hours a day, fitting the schedules of busy college students.

Food such as ramen, potato chips, yogurt, water, fruit and pizza are found in both local grocery stores and stores on campus. However, there is typically a difference in pricing.

“I think in our convenience stores, sometimes students compare the grocery store pricing, and we don’t have a volume of a grocery store; we have a volume of a convenience store,” said Peterson.

Whether at UNI or not, students have opportunities to find the food they need when they need it.