Dining centers extend breakfast hours

In response to a fall customer satisfaction survey and an interesting predicament, the UNI Department of Residence is extending breakfast by 15 minutes until 9:45 a.m.

“We had a couple of students who had come to us because of a bad situation,” said Carol Fletcher, associate director of residential dining. “They were sneaking into the dining room … during our break times, so I had visited with the students and (they) told me what is going on and I’m like that’s the stuff we need to know.”

The extended time, which started at the beginning of the semester, has given 75-100 students per work week time to come in and eat.

Due to the new hours, dining services hired two extra people to cover the time. Even with the extra man power, Fletcher believes the costs will “wash out over the day.” She also said if students eat in the morning, they will eat less throughout the day which will lower meal costs for lunch.

Other changes have been discussed due to results of the fall survey. Mike Weiglein, Piazza manager, spoke about opening lunch at 11 a.m. instead of 11:15 a.m. However, he said that is a change that couldn’t occur right now.

“Now doing something like that, that would cost (us more) because we’d need to get students in here,” Weiglein said. “We’d have to redo some full time schedules just to make that production work.”

Though the idea will not happen in the near future, Fletcher said it does not mean they will stop listening to students. She said there is a “potential developing” idea to create a food venue offering vegan and vegetarian meal choices. That does not mean they will take the vegetarian and vegan cuisine out of the dining centers, but it could be a new location for students.