Ice guys finish last on winter roads

PEXELS

Opinion columist Tanner Schrad discusses how students can be best prepared for driving in dangerous winter conditions.

TANNER SCHRAD, Opinion Columnist

Just like a scene straight out of “Game of Thrones,” winter is coming and will inevitably rear its ugly head once again. After the light snow last Friday, it looks like fall has fallen through and we’re on to the next chapter. With winter weather, all I can say is take advisory.

I always used to joke with my buddies back in high school that, “Well, looks like the first snow is here; time for everyone to forget how to drive.”

And honestly, sometimes the truth to that statement scares me.

I was in Cedar Falls this past Friday morning for class but took off for home by noon. I saw one car being pulled out of the ditch by a tow truck and later saw a one-car accident on my way through Fort Dodge.

I usually don’t come across that many accidents but to see two in one day on the first day of snow made me think maybe it was just a coincidence. However, years of experience begs to differ.

I don’t think I can blame these two accidents on the little amount of snow we got last week. The ground is still fairly warm compared to the snow, and most of it melted either upon hitting the ground or on my car windshield.

But I think this serves as a pertinent warning for what’s to come. Soon, there will be blankets of snowflakes all around us. After all, this is Iowa — too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

So, before our environment turns into a scene straight out of “The Revenant,” let’s first think about preparing.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I consider myself somewhat of a car guy. I may not be good enough to be signed by Dale Junior’s pit crew, but I’ve been changing oil, batteries and tires for quite some time now.

So, let’s talk about oil — no, not the drilling crisis that’s plaguing our country, but the actual motor oil under your hood. Have you checked it lately?

Before winter comes full force, you may want to check it to see if you’re low or if it needs changed, based on your mileage. Nothing would scream toasty in the middle of winter quite like an under the hood fire because your engine got too hot.

Taking your car to Walmart to have the oil changed once every 1,000 to 2,000 miles is one of the best ways to make it last. You know what they say: nothing runs quite like a well-oiled machine.

Batteries are another critical car component in winter. Most of us like a warm, toasty car —with the exception of fire — and I’m not one to tell you not to start your car and let it preheat, because I’ve done it too.

The issue comes when your battery doesn’t always want to cooperate. You’re trying to start your car, and you hear an obnoxious ticking or nothing at all. Odds are your battery is dead — at least that’s a prime place to start looking for a problem.

In the winter, it seems like more batteries tend to go dead — at least car batteries. The best thing to do as a student, even if you don’t drive that often, is to check your car and make sure it starts once a week.

If you do have a battery issue and you’re not experienced, don’t try to mess with it; battery acid burns are some of the nastiest burns you can receive.

Not all cars are equal or the same (a price tag can tell you that), but it’s good to know what kind of car you’re dealing with. For the most part, most of us are probably driving front wheel drive cars.

If you fall under that category, it may be wise to ask your parents (if you don’t know so yourself) when the last time you had new tires put on the front for the best traction and control this winter.

For you rear-wheel car drivers out there, it may be time to think about putting your snow tires on the rear. Take it from me: nothing impresses the ladies quite like sliding around a corner into a parallel-parked Honda.

To sum it up, it never hurts to be overly prepared. Now is the time to get an ice scraper and a few extra blankets put in the trunk.

Just because you’re winter road ready doesn’t mean everyone is, so always keep your eyes peeled. Be a smart driver and a safe driver this winter, and try not to follow Facebook meme advice. There is no such thing as blinker fluid, so don’t worry about it freezing.