Education center will move to Sabin

The Iowa House passed a bill Wednesday granting UNI $2 million to operate a new education center, the Center for Educational Transformation, which was established in January. The bill included the distribution of $6 million among the three state universities, or $2 million for each school.

“The CET has been designed and created to maintain and support the university’s long-standing tradition of excellence in educational research and development,” said Alan Heisterkamp, interim director of the CET.

The CET is currently housed in the Schindler Education Center and will be moving to Sabin Hall, Room 219.

The CET is UNI’s newest research and development center, which replaced that aspect of Malcolm Price Laboratory after its closure in 2012.

“The Center for Educational Transformation will take on the characteristics and features of an educational think tank for researchers, graduate and undergraduate students and practicing Pre-K through 12 teachers in Iowa public schools as they gather to support the mission and focus of the center,” Heisterkamp said.

He said the goals of the center are to carry out and better the university’s research, practices, policies and innovations. He also mentioned themes of research, such as math, science, literacy, learning environments, teacher quality and effectiveness and school culture and climate.

Heisterkamp said the CET will allow students to participate in hands-on research activities. He also said Iowa Board of Regent faculty members will “be more readily available.”