Food for your stomach and mind

Next fall, students studying in Rod Library can grab a cup of coffee or a snack without leaving the building. A cart cafe is in the works and construction is set to start in May, finishing up in July or August, just in time for the start of the new semester.

“It’s been talked about for a long time,” said Christopher Cox, dean of library services. “Students have asked for it; faculty have asked for it. Quite a few people have been interested in some kind of food venue in the library.”

Cox approached the UNI Department of Residence about the cafe, and for the past nine months, the library and DOR have been working together to make it a reality.

“As they were looking at different ways to attract students to the library, the idea of having some kind of food component in the library came up,” said Carol Petersen, director of dining services. “Many libraries throughout the nation on college campuses have food in their library.”

The cafe will be funded by the library, the DOR and academic affairs. The library and academic affairs will pay for the construction costs and the DOR will purchase the cart.

The project will be going to bid within a few weeks, according to Petersen.

Cox said the cafe is not meant to replace Chats, the coffee house in Maucker Union, as it should be different enough that it won’t affect Chats. One difference is the location. An entrance to the cafe will be built on the west side of the library.

“Our goal is not to take away from one that’s happening, but to attract a different set of clientele who may not go to Chats,” Cox said. “One of the reasons we’re putting it at the west part of the building is that we figure that’s going to draw people from Schindler (Education Center) and that area of campus.”

While the cafe will serve products offered at other on-campus venues, the library is hoping to serve unique items as well.

Cox said the library wants the cafe to be a place for students to meet and talk with each other or with faculty.

“It’s a place we hope they’ll stay for a little bit, too, not just pick up their stuff and go. Not that that’s a problem, but that’s the point,” Cox said. “We’re even looking at an outdoor seating space as a possibility.”

Currently, the library and DOR are in the process of figuring out details, such as a name, logo and color scheme for the cafe. The menu is in its finalization stages but they are still working out where the cart will go.

“I think that students will be excited to see it once it’s finished and be able to use it,” Petersen said. “I think it’s a great thing.”