2017 NFL Playoffs: Wild Card results

TNS

TNS

DYLAN PADY, Sports Editor

Earlier this weekend, the NFL presented the first round (Wild Card Round) of the 2017 Playoffs. Earning a spot in the Playoffs is  ordered by a regular season win percentage, with the four division leaders progressing into the post-season, as well as two “wild card” teams from both the NFC and the AFC.

The action gets started with the third and fourth seed teams playing the fifth and sixth “wild cards,” while the first and second seeds receive a first round bye-week.

In the AFC, the Tennessee Titans (no. 5) came back to beat the Kansas City Chiefs (no. 4) by a single point, while costly interceptions by the Buffalo Bills (no. 6) resulted in a victory for the Jacksonville Jaguars (no. 3).

In the NFC, the New Orleans Saints’ (no. 4) defense was able to stop Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers (no. 5) on what would have been a game winning drive by Newton, while the Los Angeles Rams (no. 3) were unable to keep up with a very consistent Atlanta Falcons (no. 6) offense.

In the last 10 years, only three teams from the Wild Card round won the Superbowl, including the Baltimore Ravens (no. 4) in 2012, the New York Giants (no. 4) in 2011 and the Green Bay Packers (no. 6) in 2010. I have to say, it truly did hurt to see an 11-5 Chicago Bears (no. 2) fall to Aaron Rodgers and the Packers at Soldier Field in the NFC Championship that year.

The playoffs get even more interesting with round two (Divisional Round), as the two best teams from each conference make their first appearance in the post-season, well-rested and at home against the winners of the first round. (Each team that received a first round bye-week went 13-3 records in the regular season).

In the AFC, Big Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers (no. 2) hope to defend Heinz Field against the Jaguars, while the Titans will travel to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts, looking to dethrone Tom Brady and the New England Patriots (no. 1)

In the NFC, the Falcons will travel to “The Linc,” or the Lincoln Financial Field, to take on a Carson Wentz-less Philadelphia Eagles (no. 1) team after he tore his ACL against the Rams. Finally, the Saints get to check out the Minnesota Vikings’ (no. 2) new U.S. Bank Stadium, which will also serve as the location of this year’s Superbowl.