Fun and discounts put the ‘O’ in WOW

Women’s Outrageous Weekend, held April 26 and 27, will kick things up a notch on Main Street, giving its participants an entire weekend of shopping fun in downtown Cedar Falls.

“We have our Girl’s Night Out, which is just a nighttime event. But that’s on a Thursday, so it’s hard for the people out of town to come in on a Thursday night after work,” said Emily Yaddof, associate events and promotions coordinator for Cedar Falls Community Main Street and member of the WOW committee.

The weekend-long event starts with an opening reception at Luna Art + Wine from 5:30-7 p.m. Friday, April 26. A new addition to WOW this year is the fashion show, which will be held Saturday morning at the Cedar Falls Community Center and includes a light breakfast provided by Cup of Joe. All outfits from the fashion show will be available for purchase at downtown businesses.

Also new to this year’s event is a free makeover that will be drawn at the fashion show and revealed at the closing reception Saturday evening at The Pump Haus. The makeover includes a cut, color and makeup from Kate’s on Main as well as a new outfit from Jennifer’s on Main and Spotlight Style Boutique & Salon.

“It’s a really good awareness event for the retailers. It gets the women down here. The point is for them to have a good time and enjoy themselves and want to come back, not just for events, but to spend time downtown,” said Yaddof.

Julie Shimek, co-owner of Main Street businesses Luna Art + Wine, Vintage Iron and Pursuing Picasso, was one of the WOW committee members during its first year, when it was still called It’s a Girl Thing.

Over the years, Shimek has seen both business participation and attendance grow. This year, one goal of the committee is to see a higher turnout among college students. From the discounts to the fashion show and wine tasting, Shimek believes that there’s nothing about WOW that younger women won’t like.

“It’s getting towards the end of the school year. It’s time to invite Mom and your sisters to come in before you leave school and just have some together time with the girls,” she said.

Registration is $25 for a VIP ticket, which provides access to all of the weekend events and discounts. For the registration form and a full list of discounts available to VIP members, visit www.communitymainstreet.org.