Get ready to vote and get to know local candidates

Since Sept. 27, citizens have had the opportunity to get out and vote early. Voting is one of the few ways we have to directly impact our democracy. Here are some more early voting dates:
• Oct. 19 in the Redeker Dining Center Room 009 from 12p.m.-6 p.m.

• Oct. 23-25 in Maucker Union from 9a.m.-3 p.m.

• Oct. 24 in ROTH second floor conference room from 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

• Oct 25. in Campbell Hall Main Lounge from 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

• Oct 25. in Towers Dining Center from 12 p.m.-6 p.m.

• Oct 27. at College Square Mall from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

If students have already registered to vote, they need only bring the voter ID they received in the mail and, just in case, a photo ID.

If students have not registered to vote, they should bring their driver’s license or have the last four digits of their Social Security number to register at the polling location. In Iowa, same-day registration is available at the polls on Nov. 6.

University of Northern Iowa students voting in Black Hawk County have the chance to choose who will represent them in three local districts in the Iowa legislature.

In Senate District 30, the incumbent is Democrat Jeff Danielson. Sen. Danielson grew up in Cedar Falls and received a master’s degree in public policy from UNI. He is a firefighter in Cedar Falls and has been teaching political courses at UNI since 2006.

Sen. Danielson believes in boosting Iowa’s economy, good education, energy and the environment, and a balanced budget for a better Iowa.

Republican Matt Reisetter is challenging Danielson. Reisetter was raised in Cedar Falls and credits his father Tom, who served the Cedar Falls School Board for more than 20 years, for his interest in politics. Reisetter received a B.A. in science from UNI in 1998.

Reisetter owns a consulting firm, SDG Solutions. Reisetter believes in creating better jobs in Iowa, equal funding for UNI, smaller government and the very best education possible for everyone.

The House District 59 incumbent is Democrat Bob Kressig. Rep. Kressig attended UNI for a postsecondary teaching license and is a 31-year employee of John Deere. He has served in the Iowa House of Representatives since 2004.

Kressig believes in using state resources to promote high-quality and good-paying jobs for Iowans, expanding tuition grants for students, reducing the property taxes for local business without shifting the burden to homeowners, promoting clean energy and a good education for every Iowan.

Republican Jim Kenyon is challenging Kressig. Kenyon has owned a Cedar Falls veterinary clinic for 30 years; there, he employs nearly 50 UNI students. He is a 19-year member of the Cedar Falls School Board and past president of the Friends of the University of Northern Iowa Museum Board. He also awards a scholarship to a science major every year.

Kenyon believes in less government spending, reliable and accountable incentives for businesses that lead to job creation, the Iowa Right to Work Law and not wasting taxpayers’ dollars.

The incumbent for House District 60 is Republican Walt Rogers. Rep. Rogers has lived in Cedar Falls for 32 years. He has served in the Iowa House since 2010 and has already been elected to be assistant majority leader. Rogers attended UNI and received a B.A. in technology with emphasis in manufacturing and management.

Rogers believes in a smaller, smarter government, responsible and transparent state spending, returning Iowa’s education system back to number one, letting teachers teach with the goal to reduce the load on teachers and administrators, and a balanced budget.

Democrat Bob Greenwood is challenging Rogers. Greenwood is a lifelong Iowan and 35-year resident of the Cedar Valley. He has served as a Waterloo City Councilman At-Large since 2001. He is a pharmacist and owner of Greenwood Drug Inc. in Waterloo.
Greenwood believes in providing a quality education and investing in world-class schools, getting back to the basics by rewarding hard work and providing education to our future leaders, and creating good-paying jobs in Iowa.

For more information, visit the candidates’ websites, contact us in the NISG office in the upper level of Maucker Union or call us at 319-273-2650.

Whether one takes advantage of early voting or one chooses to head to the polls on Nov. 6, get out and vote. Election Day is less than a month away.