Grading the system

Quarterback: B+

Redshirt sophomore Sawyer Kollmorgen leads the pack in his second year at the starter. Coming off a great season as a freshman, Kollmorgen will be looking to take a step forward in his progression.

If it wasn’t for his small sample size, this grade would be an A. Behind Kollmorgen, the Panthers currently have three other quarterbacks on the roster, but that is sure to change once the season starts. Without more experience between the four passers, the final grade ends up at a B+ (for now).

Running Back: A-

Yes, Carlos Anderson is gone, but enter David Johnson. Johnson enters his junior season with expectations sky high. Johnson rushed for 1,038 yards last season and received numerous awards, and, should a re-worked offensive line do their part, it could be a breakout season for him. Look for Austin Ebertowski to back up Johnson, with Evan Williams, Alex Carr and Tyvis Smith all challenging for playing time. Ebertowski should be a solid number two for Johnson. That combination earns an A-.

Wide Receiver: B+

UNI lost a big target in Terrell Sinkfield, but this position is probably still the deepest on the team. The Panthers have a minimum of five receivers that will be in rotation, with Nebraska quarterback transfer Brion Carnes a candidate to move to the position. All six players have had at least one year of on-field experience at receiver, which will bode well as the season moves along. With the experience and athleticism of this core group, they should have no problem finding the endzone this season. That earns them a B+.

Offensive Line: C

Dan Kruger and Jack Rummells are set in stone for coach Mark Farley’s 2013-14 offensive line. However, offseason injuries to Kevin Carroll and Ben Wallace hurt the depth. Ryan Bingaman, Kirk Harris and Mark Blessington all received part-time action last season and are likely to be counted on for bigger contributions this season. A group of redshirt freshman including Justin Putney, Robert Rathje, Dustin Ihns and Trevor Hanson are in the mix for playing time. The offensive line could be the key to 2013.

Tight End: B

Sam Rohr headlines the tight end group, but other players could make sizeable impacts. Rohr led all Panther tight ends last season as a true freshman with 22 receptions, 202 yards and two touchdowns. Rohr was selected to the Missouri Valley Football Conference all-newcomer team and is poised for a great season as he builds on the field rapport with sophomore Sawyer Kollmorgan. Braden Lehman, Will Roth and Jacob Rathmacher will compete for reps behind Rohr.

Defensive Line: C+

The good news is the starting four have a great resume already built. The bad news is that there is little depth which may lead to younger players moving into starting roles. With the injury to Mac O’Brien already hurting the depth, it may be too difficult to overcome.

If anyone can solve this problem, it’s new defensive line coach Bryce Paup. Paup was the National Football League Defensive Player of the Year in 1995. He could boost this line to a B grade by season’s end.

Safety (FS/SS): C+

After the graduation of Garrett Scott, Mark Farley found his replacement via transfer Tate Omli of Butler Community College. Omli was a standout at BCC, recording 87 tackles, four interceptions and one touchdown in his sophomore season. Omli is penciled in at strong safety alongside returning starter Deiondre’ Hall. Hall recorded 29 tackles as a freshman and should be much more comfortable on the field with a year under his belt. Alex Paup, Ray Mitchell and Tim Kilfoy provide healthy competition.

Linebacker: B

This is another position where a small sample size is holding the grade back. UNI’s linebackers have a very high ceiling, starting Jake Farley. Farley led the team in tackles in his first season and looks to take more of a leadership role this year. Jordan Gacke will be solid on the outside, along with redshirt redshirt junior Zach Cutkomp. Cutkomp shined in his few games as linebacker last season before he suffered an injury which sidelined him for the year. With more experience, this group can be dominant.12