Grit ‘n’ Glam: Embrace your flabulosity

Recently I was lucky enough to witness a friend of mine present a performance in which he openly admitted and embraced his “flabulosity.” Rather than letting the messages he received from others or from his culture make him feel unattractive or unworthy, he asserted himself as a beautiful, sassy and stylish human being who, yes, is carrying around a few extra pounds.
Many of us have carried around some extra weight for at least part of our lives, and it can often make us feel that we aren’t worth as much or aren’t as beautiful. But there is something so attractive, so transcendent in a person who loves themself and has made peace with their body. Sometimes when we stop judging ourselves and start paying attention to the things in life that really matter, others follow our example.

Remember that your weight (or the clearness of your skin or your eye color or whatever it is) does not define who you are. You can define your own self and your own worth on the basis of your intelligence, the art that moves you, the way you treat your friends, the passionate way you fight for what you believe in or any number of characteristics that say a great deal more about you than the number on the scale.

Style comes in all shapes and sizes, and it should always be about being who you want to be and presenting a look that is beautiful to you rather than pleasing others or hoping that they will be sexually attracted to you (although that can be a bonus). I challenge you to embrace your flabulosity or be acne-mazing or accept being beautifully bald.

Express yourself and embrace yourself!