Grit `n` Glam Quiz: How High-Maintenance Are You?

How high maintenance are you? Take the Grit ‘n’ Glam quiz to find out and see some of David’s beauty suggestions!

Like Grit ‘n’ Glam’s brand-new Facebook page available by searching “Grit ‘n’ Glam” on Facebook or visiting www.facebook.com/GritnGlam

1. In the morning, you tend to:
A. Get up early to work out, do some homework or make a nice breakfast before class.

B. Get up an hour early, shower and head to class.

C. Roll out of bed 15 minutes before class – if you’re going that day.

2. A friend has invited you to a costume party that will take place three days from now. You:
A. Get started on your costume right away.

B. Think about it a bit but wait until the morning of to finalize your costume.

C. Improvise an hour or two before the party.

3. Your idea of style icons are:
A. Lady Gaga and Adam Lambert – total, unapologetic glam.

B. Zoey Deschanel and Robert Downey, Jr. – chic style that doesn’t go overboard.

C. Meg Ryan and Elijah Wood – casual cool all the way.
4. A professor tells you that you have a test next class period. You breathe a huge sigh of relief when you find out it’s a(n)
A. Essay test, which lets you expand upon what you know in detail and pull from your experiences.

B. Multiple choice test, because through the process of elimination you should be fine.

C. True or false test because, hey, you have a 50 percent chance of being right every time.

5. A good friend’s birthday is coming up and you are in charge of planning something. You:
A. Get together all their friends for a surprise bash.

B. Contact some of your friend’s besties for dinner and drinks with the birthday star.

C. Buy them a cake and invite them over to watch Netflix.

6. Your relationship with sweatpants can be summed up as:
A. A secret affair: I wear them only in my own dorm room!
B. Frenemies: We hang sometimes, but I usually steer clear.

C. Best buds: Sweats and I go way back.

7. Worst. Hair day. Ever. Your reaction:
A. I am not leaving my room.

B. I hope I don’t see anyone I know today while I’m out. Maybe I’ll just throw on a hat.

C. Meh, whatev.

Mostly A’s

Darling, you’re fabulous. Some call you high-maintenance like its a bad thing, but rather than viewing beauty as a chore, you view your self-pampering as a delicious indulgence.

David’s product suggestions for glamorous high maintenance types like you: Leave-in conditioner, such as Herbal Essences None of Your Frizzness Smoothing Leave-in Cr?me ($4, drugstores), which will supplement your regular shampoo/conditioner routine and ensure shiny, soft and delicately fragranced hair; a purifying facial masque, such as Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque (a personal favorite of the author, $5, Sally’s Beauty Supply), which takes 15 minutes to absorb excess oil and shrink pores; a good moisturizer, as the drying masque can also be used as an acne spot treatment; and a glow-giver, such as Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Leg Makeup ($10, drugstores), which is suitable for arms, legs and body and imparts a natural-looking sunny glow that washes off with your next shower.

Mostly B’s

Hey there, happy medium! You don’t expect Hollywood glamour every day, but neither do you reach for the sweats every morning. Put-together, understated beauty is your go-to, and you tend to like all aspects of your life to strike a balance.
David’s product suggestions for well-adjusted mid-maintenance types like you: A contouring kit, such as E.L.F. Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Cream ($3, Target), which will allow you to define cheekbones and flush skin with a healthy pink glow; a hair styling mousse such as Kiss My Face Hold Up Styling Mousse ($9, organic beauty section), which will add volume and shape to short and long hairstyles and scent your hair like fresh, sweet limes – organically; and a scented lotion such as Bath and Body Works C.O. Bigelow Barber Ultra Light Body Lotion Elixir White ($17, Bath and Body Works), which keeps skin moisturized and soft and imparts an androgynous citrusy scent that keeps you smelling good all day long.

Mostly C’s

‘Sup, bro? You’re low-maintenance. You don’t like to spend too much time getting ready, and you don’t really see the point in doing so. This doesn’t mean that you’re a slob – not at all! You’re just more chill than your mid- or high-maintenance counterparts. You’d do well to look for products that serve multiple purposes, as they save you steps, time and money.
David’s product suggestions for laid-back, low-maintenance types like you: Hair and body wash, such as Suave Professionals 3 in 1 Hair and Body Wash ($3-4, drugstores), which lets you lather up once all over and be done with it; tinted moisturizer, such as E.L.F. Tinted Moisturizer Spf 20 ($3, Target), which moisturizes, protects your face from harmful UV rays and evens out your skin tone all in one go; and dry shampoo, such as Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo ($4-5, drugstores), which will zap grease and revitalize your ‘do on the days you don’t have time to shower.