Grit ‘n’ Glam: Tips from a drag queen

In honor of Pride Week at the University of Northern Iowa, take some tips from Iva Fetish, my drag alter ego, because who knows better than a queen?
• Eyebrows can transform your face: One of the main ways that an average individual gets dragged up is by changing their eyebrows. Most people don’t realize how important eyebrows really are. They frame your eyes and forehead and help create the ratio between all of your facial features. Taking a few hairs out from the bottom of your brows lifts your entire face and opens up your eye area significantly. A simple $8 eyebrow wax from La’James International College or a comparable salon could draw attention to your bright eyes, liven your cheekbones and give you a whole new look.

• True-waist cuts for curves: Ever wonder how narrow-hipped guys (like myself) look so curvaceous in drag? While some may have body pieces that create false curves, my method is wearing clothing at my true waist. The true waist isn’t the waist we often think of – the place our low-rise jeans hit, a few inches underneath our belly button. The true waist is the naturally slimmest part of your torso. Every body is different, so this narrowest part may be right underneath the chest or closer to the stomach. Clothes that are cut for this true waist give the illusion of an hourglass shape, especially when wearing dresses or skirts that have some volume to them. If you’re looking for curves, remember the power of the true waist.

• Body makeup’s a thing: Celebrities and Victoria’s Secret models do not have perfect skin all over their bodies. The reason their bodies look so even-toned when wearing skimpy dresses and swimsuits is the same reason their faces look even-toned: makeup. Yes, body makeup is a thing. Your discoloration, body acne, extreme tan lines, razor burn, scars and whatever else can easily melt away with the right body makeup. You can fake perfect skin and a perfect tan on your way to the beach, or in my case, feel confident showing some skin while dancing onstage for an audience. I personally love Jemma Kidd Showstopper Year-Round Body Glow because it imparts a perfect glow.

• Heel comfort isn’t about the height: Several people always tell me and my fellow queens how impressed they are that we can walk so well in heels. They think they must be crazy-painful to wear because of the height. Yes, my four-and-a-half-inch faux-snakeskin platform boots look impressive, but the secret is height doesn’t matter as much as people think. Heel comfort and ease of walking have a lot more to do with how chunky the heel is and how much of a platform the heel has. If you have a chunky heel and/or a sizable platform, your weight is distributed over more of the surface area of the bottom of the heel, and you have quite a bit more balance support. Short, two- or three-inch stiletto heels are honestly quite a bit harder to walk in than higher platform shoes. Keep this rule in mind when shopping for heels: It’s about the surface area, not the height.
• Bronze that cleavage!: Want a little more up top? Subtly using bronzer in your cleavage deepens the shadows there and makes you seem like you have a lot more than you do. Trust someone who can go from boy to looks-like-real-boobs in 5 minutes. A little highlighting shimmer powder on the outer curve can help the illusion.
• Long hair really don’t care: If you’re having a bad day or aren’t feeling too confident and you have long hair, resist the urge to put it up in a ponytail or bun. There is something about being able to fiercely flip your hair around that works like armor against challenges and adversity. I’ve seen many a drag queen who was timid and nervous with stage fright when trying out for the show become completely emboldened once they had a striking wig to whip around.
• What matters is being beautiful to you: There are plenty of folks who look at me like I’m crazy when I’m gender-nonconforming, especially in full drag. Remember that they don’t have to get it. What’s important is looking how you want to look and being beautiful to you.
Have fun, come to the drag show and look great!