He said, she said: Valentine’s Day gift and date ideas

HE SAID:
I have a crush and would like to start dating them.

• Give your crush an Orange Crush and make a clever play on words (classic!)
• Dinner and a movie proposition
• Flash mob

I’m in a new relationship (up to three months).

• Something fun and out of the ordinary
• Watch each other’s favorite movies back-to-back
• Double date
• Chocolates and flowers (duh)

I’ve been in a relationship for three months to one year.

• Respectable dinner and a movie
• Unpredictable romance (stargazing, frolicking in the rain, you know, all that jazz)
• (When in Iowa) Build a snowman!
• Ice skating and hot cocoa
• Coloring book and a 64-pack of crayons

I’ve been a relationship for more than a year.

• Swanky dinner and a theater show (Duh)
• Candles, rose petals, a massage… you do the math
• Tasteful jewelry that doesn’t break the bank (we’re still in college)

I’m single.

• Watch a romantic movie and shout sarcastic comments at the screen
• Have all your single friends come over for an anti-Valentine bash
• Be bold and ask your crush out
• Be a good sport and give Valentines to your friends, just like elementary school
• Party it up with Mario and Luigi
• Ignore it. Heck, it’s only a day

SHE SAID:
I have a crush and would like to start dating them: You’re just starting out, or haven’t even started yet, so you don’t want to come on too strong; no jewelry or pictures of you or anything that screams relationship. This is the time for cute, funny notes or maybe a scavenger hunt asking them on a date. Also, never underestimate the power of a movie on the first date. You can go to a movie on Valentine’s Day, it’s totally ok, no matter how clich?d a movie date may be. Some people think more thought is required for the first date and that a movie is just too unoriginal, but I say go to a movie, share some popcorn, flirt during the previews, put your arm around her, snuggle into his shoulder, etc. You honestly cannot go wrong.

I’m in a new relationship: New relationships are exciting on Valentine’s Day because you’re still in the “honeymoon” stage and want so badly to impress your significant other and really show them how important they are to you. This can be done with the basics: flowers and chocolates. A beautiful bouquet will make any girl smile. I even read the other day that some men wouldn’t mind getting flowers. You could really throw your guy off and take him by surprise by having flowers delivered to him at work. Why not switch things up a bit and reverse the gender roles?
I’ve been in a relationship for three months to one year: This is the perfect time to go a little more personal than just flowers and chocolates and focus more on the person directly, since you’ve had a little more time to get to know them. A really cute idea for a gift when you’re at this stage in the relationship is homemade coupons. This is an extremely inexpensive way to show them how much you care by promising to do acts for them rather than spending a large sum of money. Create a box of one-time redeemable “coupons” that your significant other can use randomly throughout the year. Who wouldn’t love coupons for a massage or breakfast in bed or to watch the movie of their choice?
I’ve been in a relationship for more than a year: I almost hate to say it, but this is the time for exactly what you’d expect to get as a gift on Valentine’s Day: jewelry. And no, you don’t have to get your significant other jewelry, but if you’re going to, after a year is a good time to do it. It’s insanely romantic when a guy gives a girl a heart necklace or charm bracelet. These are things that obviously cost a little bit more money, but as we age and spend more time in relationships, we’re more likely to start buying things such as jewelry — they’re keepsakes that can be worn forever to remind us every day of the love we share in the relationship.

I’m single: Happy singles awareness day! Time for some self-appreciation and relaxation. Take some time off from your busy week to unwind by treating yourself to something you love but don’t usually take the time or spend the money to do. Get a manicure/pedicure, get a massage, do some retail therapy, have dinner with a sibling or friend, have a girls’ night complete with romantic comedies and lots of chocolate. If you’re a male, go out for a drink with your guy friends (there’s nothing wrong with a little “bromance” on Valentine’s Day).