Heroes convene at Rod

Thor, Supergirl, Captain America and Wolverine soared into Rod Library Saturday, ready to greet about 1,200 Mini Comic Con attendees.

The library dedicated three floors to the event, which was funded by a diversity grant, celebrating comic books and art. Artists such as Phil Hester, Aaron Gillespie, Steve Potter and a slew of others showed off their works for the public. The pieces were available for purchase.

Panel discussion topics varied from how to gain superpowers with science to disabilities in comics. Others covered surviving conventions without losing your mind, racism in Disney and cosplaying.

Melissa Gevaert, a library assistant at the circulation desk, hosted the “United States Censorship of Anime and Manga” session, which was not recommended for anyone under the age of 16.

“I recommended ages 16 and up just because it dealt with violence, nudity and stuff like that,” Gevaert said. “I wanted it to be more, not a shock if somebody were to walk in and see us talking about that stuff.”

There was also a scavenger hunt, gaming rooms, a coloring contest for kids, a Magic: the Gathering tournament and a costume contest. Comic shops The Core and Limited Edition sponsored the costume contest, which was split by age and gender. Winners wore costumes such as various incarnations of the Doctor from “Doctor Who,” Goku from “Dragon Ball,” Batman and Robin.

The idea for the mini comic con came from Anna Hollingsworth, a student who works in the Access Services Department at Rod Library. Linda McLaury, Access Services coordinator, said Hollingsworth attended a larger comic con and went to a session called “Hosting a Mini Comic Con in Your Library.”

“She came back and asked us could we do that here, and how could you say no to that?” McLaury said. “She made a proposal to the public relations committee and we looked at it and said this is absolutely something we could help with, and it kinda took off from there.”