PTSD event returning to UNI

Chiquita Loveless/COURTESY PHOTO

Chiquita Loveless, coordinator of Military and Veteran Student Services, encourages all students to attend the PTSD awareness event, which is now in its second year.

CLINTON OLSASKY, Executive Editor | [email protected]

Next Wednesday, March 28, Military and Veteran Student Services (MVSS) and the UNI Veterans Association (UNIVA) will be ushering in the second annual Statewide PTSD Awareness Conference, to be held in the Maucker Union Ballroom from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“MVSS and UNIVA worked diligently to ensure we provided the most up-to-date information regarding PTSD,” said Chiquita Loveless, MVSS coordinator.  “We took the time to interview each speaker to make sure they were well-rounded in the field.”

Loveless explained that at last year’s conference, participants discussed PTSD as it more directly pertained to military members and veterans. However, this year, the focus for the conference will be on recovery from the disorder.

Speakers at the conference will deliver presentations related to subjects such as mental, emotional and academic support for individuals with PTSD, as well as therapy options, including art, music and service dogs. In addition, the conference will feature an open panel discussion regarding the day-to-day effects of PTSD.

“PTSD involves everyone and is a day-to-day norm for some who are not aware of it,” Loveless said. “For example, something as small as stubbing a toe may cause a traumatic impact or being in an automobile accident may cause a person not to want to ever drive again.  Some of us may still be carrying traumatic events which occurred from childhood, and it is time to release and learn how to channel the negative energy to a positive state.”

Loveless also stressed the collaborative efforts between MVSS and the student leaders of UNIVA, including Cole Passick, Emily Meier and Wes Negus, in organizing and planning for next Wednesday’s conference.

“All are military members who have served this great country, and I am proud to serve this great university alongside of them,” Loveless said.

The conference will also be co-sponsored by UNI Counseling Services, UNI Student Disability Services and the UNI Wellness Center.

Loveless urged all UNI students to attend the conference, explaining that PTSD can affect individuals from all backgrounds.

“My hopes are that [students] are able to identify PTSD symptoms for themselves, friends and family members,” Loveless said. “There is a myth that only military members deal with PTSD, which is not true.  PTSD can come from all walks of life.”

Students can register to attend the event at military.uni.edu/ptsd. The general registration fee is $10, but registration is free for all UNI students. The registration deadline is this Friday, March 23.