Iowa Chairiots roll into McLeod

The University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball game against St. Louis was not the only thing that occupied the McLeod Center Saturday night. During half-time, the Iowa Chairiots, a wheelchair basketball team performed a show, and then after the UNI game, they played a game of their own .

The Iowa Chairiots and around 20 different UNI athletes played a four quarter game of five-on-five, rotating players roughly every five minutes. This gave UNI athletes the opportunity to experience playing basketball in wheelchairs.

“What we are working to establish is a clear and well-known awareness for inclusive adaptive sports in the state of Iowa,” said Jayden Barrett, Iowa Chairiot player. “We want everyone to know about adaptive sports, and through this also see the true capabilities of people with disabilities.”

The basketball game was a fundraiser event for SportAbility of Iowa, which aimed to raise money for the Iowa Chairiots and the UNI Adapted Sports Camp, said Jack Eherenman, who runs the camp and was a participant in the game.

Eherenman said that because the game came on quickly, there was a free raffle for the spectators.After halftime, with the Iowa Chairiots in the lead, 22 to 13, the teams swapped scores to give the UNI athletes an advantage. The ending result was close with the Iowa Chairiots winning 47 to 44.

“My favorite part of the game was working with the students and athletes and letting them experience the sport of adapted basketball,” Eherenman said. “I could see the joy of playing in something on an equal level with all of them, and the fun of just playing with each other. It was a great night in that respect.”

During the game, the raffle had items ranging from gift cards and T-shirts to the grand prize of a 30 minute plane ride at the Waterloo Regional Airport with two friends. The winners were announced throughout the game.

“I rather enjoyed it,” said Bray Mullenix, junior biology major. “I just wish there had been more advertising because it’s for a good cause.”

UNI Adapted Sports Camp has been put on since 2006, said Eherenman. The SportAbility of Iowa website states the camp is for kids from 2nd grade into high school. Eherenman said the camp will take place June 18-24, 2014.

“We work hard to make sure that everyone knows about our UNI Adapted Sports Camp and our game … is a great way to inform people about it, and show the amazing outcome of what our camp provides for athletes with disabilities,” Barrett said. “Our camp is a phenomenal opportunity to meet adapted athletes, become more familiar with Paralympic Sports and improve your quality of life.”

Donations to Iowa SportAbility may be made at sportabilityofiowa.org.