It’s just a game

I’ve been lucky enough to be around sports my entire life. I’ve been involved with all the highs and all the lows. It’s incredible how much of me relates in one way or another to sports, and I’m even luckier to have chosen a career where I can focus my attention on my true passion.

The highs can be so thrilling. I’ve never truly experienced anything like my favorite team winning a championship or even just a big game. It’s one of those times where you’ll always remember where you were and what you were doing. Every little detail about those moments will always be instilled in your mind.

The same can be said for the lows. As much as we all like to say a bad loss or even bad seasons don’t affect us, they do. But when you’re a true sports fan, that’s ok. You’ve earned the right to be upset that your team stinks – note to all Chicago Cubs fans, including myself.

Yet, with the recent deaths of Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher and college basketball coach Rick Majerus, sometimes we forget about what’s important. No matter what sport you’ve turned into your passion, no matter who your idol is on the court or on the field, at the end of the day these are just games.

Win or lose, you’ll go back to your life and face the real world.

Don’t get me wrong, I may be one of the worst at not letting sports interfere with my daily life, but it’s times like these when I realize what’s really important.

I wasn’t a fan of Sunday’s NFL game between the Chiefs and Carolina Panthers. Not because of the outcome, but because of the fact that the game was played at all. Just one day before that game, the Chiefs lost a true friend. No matter who he was or what he did, Belcher is a human being that has left this world. Why haven’t we taken the time to step back and realize this?
Sunday’s game was just that – a game. Sure, for those players, football is a career. But they are also entertainers, putting on a show for the country to watch. Would it be the same if you were to see a Sunday showing of the Wizard of Oz, and a cast member has just passed away one day before the show? No.

It’s just a game. If you win, that’s great. If you lose, there will be another game. Life doesn’t always work like a football season.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who has lost a loved one recently. This should be a time to reflect on their life here on this earth, not for football.