McGregor attacks bus in New York

Back to Article
Back to Article

McGregor attacks bus in New York

UFC fighter Conor McGregor (left) after turning himself in to the authorities last Thursday following his attack on a bus in Brooklyn, NY.

TNS

TNS

TNS

WILLIAM RIEPE, Sports Writer

Last Saturday, an incident occurred involving UFC lightweight and featherweight champion Conor McGregor. McGregor, arguably the most famous name in mixed martial arts, appeared at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, along with 20 to 30 people who flew with him from Ireland.

McGregor and his party were caught on video attacking a bus containing UFC fighters and corner men in the Barclays Center Garage. The group used chairs, guard rails, rocks and fists to break the windows of the bus. McGregor even hurled a metal hand truck at the bus, breaking a window, and proceeded to attack and harm several fighters, including Michael Chiesa.

Chiesa ended up in the hospital after the attack left him with wounds from the broken glass over his face. He was ruled out of his UFC 223 fight against Anthony Pettis after being deemed unfit after the wounds he sustained.

On Thursday, McGregor turned himself in to police and appeared in handcuffs on his way from court on Friday. McGregor was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. His bail was set at $50,000, and he was allowed to leave the country.

UFC President Dana White has not released McGregor from his contract with the UFC. Many believe this was due to McGregor’s name and rights being worth billions to any respective mixed martial arts company. Some are waiting for White to cut McGregor loose.

“It’s out of character for Conor McGregor and any of my fighters,” White said in a statement following McGregor’s incident. “In the history of the UFC, this is definitely the worst thing ever that’s happened […]This is not Conor McGregor. This is not the Conor McGregor that I know.”