KIRB CHECK: J’s: Top notch location, quantity, price … and ranch

As a resident of Gold Falls Villa Apartments and a lover of hot beefs and breakfast for dinner, J’s Homestyle is incredibly too convenient sometimes. Ordering a BLT and cheese curds, walking the two minutes to pick it up and then devouring it on my couch while watching reruns of “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” has been my night more than once this past month.

The “om nom nom” worthy hot beef is the reason Janice Power opened the restaurant three and a half years ago.

“Before I even decided I wanted to do a restaurant, I went all over town trying to find a good hot beef and couldn’t find one,” she said. “And I thought, it’s so easy to do this.”

Power grew up in a family of nine, never eating anything but homemade food. The desire for homemade food has carried throughout her life and she has implemented it in her restaurant, from the all-day breakfast to the bread and baked goods.

Power also loves people, and it’s apparent within seconds of walking in the door.

“I like the people. Love the people. I love serving them good food. Reasonable food,” said Power.

University of Northern Iowa student Krystle Doeden has been an employee at J’s for two years. The familiar faces of customers were one of the reasons deciding whether or not to stay in Cedar Falls after graduating this May was so difficult.

“It gets in a good crowd, from families to UNI students to older couples,” said Doeden, a family services major.

Serving up a lot of food for not a lot of money is something Power feels strongly about.

“I just don’t like ripping people off. I want them to be full when they leave. I told them many times, if you’re not full, I’m gonna set you back down again and feed you more,” she said.

Large quantities at reasonable prices are a college student’s dream. For those who live on campus and don’t have a car, J’s is just a short walk away. If for some sick and twisted reason you’re not yet convinced that making a visit to J’s is necessary, consider the salad dressing of our generation: ranch.

We’re not talking the subpar, almost vomit-inducing Hidden Valley. J’s has that restaurant ranch that I am as tempted to drink straight as I am the ginger dressing at Sakura.

CHECK IT:
-1724 W 31st St.

-open 5:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. daily
-jshomecooking.com