Kirb Check: Stew’s is Main Street’s secret weapon

Tucked behind Simpson’s Furniture is a gemstone of a little shop called Stew’s. Young entrepreneur Emma Steffens opened the vintage shop back in November. As a full-time student with a fianc? who played football for the University of Northern Iowa as well as a young child to care for, Steffens wanted a job that was accommodating to her limited availability.

“I needed to find something that was flexible and good income, so I started to go to auctions and filled my garage up,” she said. “Then I went out to look for a garage to store my stuff at and found this one. We were talking about how to turn it into a shop maybe, and then it just happened.”

Steffens’s love for antiques and vintage items stems from attending auctions as a child with her mom. Now, her shop combines a mix of old, new and even some upcycled pieces, from furniture to handmade clothes and candles. This diverse mix is what led to the shop’s name.

“It’s random,” said Steffens. “We were driving home one day and I was like ‘Stew’s – just a bunch of junk thrown together’.”

Currently taking a break from school, Steffens is focusing on the success of her business. On Tuesdays, dubbed Stewsday Tuesday, Steffens uses the Stew’s Facebook page as a sort of online store, posting pictures of items for sale with buyers simply commenting on the photo to claim it. She’s also incorporated a silent auction on Tuesdays, with bidding starting at $1.

While nostalgic for the older crowd, the one-of-a-kind local business also appeals to the younger kids.

“We talked about having a fun young women’s fashion line for the future,” she said. “The vintage lovers. You always have those.”

As for the future, Steffens would like to continue to expand her business, either by investing in a property rather than renting one or adding onto the current location.