LIVING THE DREAM

As amazing as this NBA season has been, the sad truth is that the season will be wrapping up in a little over a month! Fantasy players looking to make a final push can still add or drop players from the unowned player pool, but trades are officially done in all leagues. How exactly does a team get better if one’s options are full of players no one else wants?

The important facts to key in on here is not what players are left to contribute across the board, but who can give you spot numbers in the harder-to-come-by statistics. Three pointers are part of any team’s scoring plan, but how many big name players hit a lot of threes at a good percentage? Not surprisingly, big scorers are typically volume shooters, meaning they score a lot by nature because they shoot a lot. Quality three-point shooting at a high percentage is most often left to role players who can “play off of” their star teammate’s demand for defensive attention.

Look for players who not only shoot three pointers, but who play with top point guards or premier scorers, as they will have more consistent looks from downtown. Phoenix center Channing Frye, Knicks forward Danilo Galinari, Miami guard-forward Quentin Richardson and Bucks guard Carlos Delfino are all available in many leagues and average 1.7 three’s nightly.

Defensive stats are harder to gauge because steals and blocks are completely individual numbers that you should take any way you can get them. Teams that play terrible defense overall can still have players posting great defensive numbers; these stats are based purely on getting playing time to be on the court and in situations to make plays happen.

There are a number of lower-level point guards floating around with decent steal statistics. Memphis’s Mike Conley and Indiana’s Earl Watson deliver a few points and assists with steals numbers, and anyone still sleeping on Andre Kirilenko’s quiet comeback in Utah should check out his stat line. Kirilenko also adds 1.2 blocks to his 1.5 steals average along with 12 points and just less than five rebounds per game.

Other targets who rake in blocks are Samuel Dalembert in Philadelphia, Boston’s Kedrick Perkins and the Pacers’ Roy Hibbert. Big men tend to have exclusive rights on gaudy block stats, but often centers and forwards playing opposite scoring big men do better. All the above picks are currently free game, and all play in a front line that takes the scoring load off of their shoulders, allowing them to commit their energy to solid defense.

These decisions will be tailored to your specific roster needs rather than as blanket guidelines, so check out the stats that need the most help and plan accordingly. Also, don’t jump all over stats you are going to lose anyways. If you consistently get beat in the blocks category by eight or more each week, let it go. You will never find enough adequate help in that category to compete, so focus on dropping blocks every week and strengthening shooting percentages or steals instead.

Take a look at the options available to you and find the best way to shore up your weaknesses. Don’t be afraid to drop an overall productive reserve for a specialty player. Remember that points and rebounds are handed out like candy.

Dropping the forward scoring 14 a game for a guard picking up a steal or two each night is probably the right call, because steals are more valuable per unit. Step back and evaluate your performance, and don’t hesitate to fix the problems you find. Good luck and happy gaming!